1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

My new custom boot screen :-)

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 3, 2018.

1. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

I've been digging deep into the workings of the frontend and as part of my project of upgrading to a capacitive screen, I needed to rotate the bootup screen. This lead me down another road now, which is custom boot up screens :)

The boot screen is just a 800x480 mp4 video file kept in /etc/init.d/ folder called splash.mp4

So, with 10 minutes spare at lunch I decided to knock up a new one.. I think Robo should really get the community involved and maybe run a competition, the best one gets rolled out across all the machines :)

Here's mine, let me know what you think :) This one is playing on the resistive screen.

To get the video across I set up an ftp server on the PI, I'm sure you can just stick it on a USB and run a script or something but I'm not that clever :p

Steve

p.s Can someone please move it to the R2 section, apologies didn't mean to post it in the C2, but I'm guessing it still applies.

Bemster likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Done. Excellent work too.

It applies if you want to upgrade the screen, the stock one is 3.5 inches so a bit of work, but still doable.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Please attach file (you may need to put it in a .zip file)

4. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Here you go. It was only my first attempt :)

It's 20mb, so I've zipped and uploaded it to http://diyrc.co.uk/files/splash.zip

I installed an FTP server on the pi and transferred it over to Home/Pi folder, then I SSH'd in and sudo cp splash.mp4 /etc/init.d/

To install the ftp I just did..

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt install proftpd

Installed it with the selection - From INTD when the install screen comes up.

Will do a full writeup once I get chance.

Steve

5. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Any limit on the length of time of the clip (in secs) ? I may make my own video to distinguish between the two R2 units I have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Hey Super,

The original video I think was about 20 minutes long but it's only a loading screen which shows whilst the RoboOS is loading in the background. On my PI it's taking around 27 seconds to boot. My video is just over 2 minutes.

Thanks,

supercazzola likes this.
  7. Frank van Gilluwe

Cool change, but didn't work for me. Verified the downloaded, unzipped video runs in Windows. Renamed the old video file to splash.mp4.old, and installed the new splash.mp4 file in the /etc/init.d directory. There is a file splash.jpg in that directory too - should that be removed or renamed? Any configuration file changes?

8. Frank van Gilluwe

Please ignore -working great now. After inserting the file, I forgot to unmount and all the changes were dropped. Installed file properly and works like a champ! Nice addition!