1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Keep getting jams with Formfutura MetalFil - Ancient Bronze

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JayT, Mar 28, 2019.

1. JayT

JayT Member

Hello there, it's been a while. Anyhow, about a year ago I purchased some of this Formfutura - Ancient Bronze filament (80% bronze powder) and just recently got around to trying to print with it. I have followed the manufacturers suggestions for print settings, and tweaked (and tweaked, and tweaked some more) but it just seems that no matter how hard I try this stuff just keeps getting jammed up in the feed hole and the filament itself is extremely brittle (just getting it into the feed hole is a challenge.

I've thought about applying a feeding tube such as what was done for the Ninjaflex in this instructable, but I'm not sure if that would do any good here or not.

Anyhow, I would really like for the entire roll to not be a total waste, so if anybody has any tips on what I might be doing wrong, or if you think the brittleness signals something wrong with the filament itself, perhaps some tips on how to resurrect it, it would be greatly appreciated. I also have a roll of some woodfill product form the same company that is giving me similar issues (though not quite as bad) and I have a small order coming up that I would like to fulfil with it, so any help at all would be welcome!!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey @JayT I run it often. You need at minimum a .6 nozzle as the fill will clog your .4 nozzle fast. Other than that (and the bigger nozzle being a hardened steel so it doesn't wear out) its standard PLA settings :D

JayT, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. JayT

JayT Member

Thanks @Geof ! Could you recommend me a good .6 nozzle that I should look for? Is your metalfil also extremely brittle?

Edit: Also, how do I change my post from "Unresolved"?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your using a E3D V6 or a Hexagon you can use an E3D Nozzle.

https://www.printedsolid.com/products/e3dhardenednozzle?variant=31780963212

example: Order from wherever you are most comfortable. remember .6 would be the minimum to run the fills. I typically throw on a .8 BUT .6 SHOULD be enough lol.

It is more brittle than PLA. Not much flex to the filament before it snaps. If yours is crazy brittle you may want to dry it out

I'll change it for you. unsure how it looks on the member screens anymore so I dont know that I could walk you through how. @mark tomlinson @WheresWaldo ?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  6. JayT

JayT Member

Awesome guys, thanks again.

Also, great to see so many of you are all still active on here! I was a little worried everyone would have left by now! #Robo3D4Lyfe LOL

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.