1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Anyone using a BL Touch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Mar 31, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Can any and all provide some insight on BL Touch and whether or not they have had issues with it. Maybe how repeatable it is, how much fiddling they had to do with it.

I am trying to figure out if it is a good way to go to dump the R2 infrared setup. Since I only use UBL anyways, it is simply for homing and one time through an auto-leveling sequence for each of my two beds. Since UBL I never auto-level anymore just the one time during set up.

I an not concerned about the exact printer you are using it on, just about actual use of the probe.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Waldo, only machine I've got one on runs UBL firmware from the OEM. It works as expected and is pretty reliable. The only thing I dont like is when you have to do maintenance to the machine and the mount (which is on springs in case of crash) gets adjusted and you have to reset it. That part sucks- other than that no complain

***I did at one time have alot of issues with when I first got the machine- the needle would drop during a print and cause havok and destroy itself- this was a defective BL touch that was replaced eventually***

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Yeah, I vaguely recall your issues. Since I use UBL I would only use the probe maybe once a year to set the bed up (when I replace the buildtac sheet). Otherwise it would only be for homing.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the only real issue I'd be worried about would be the probe falling. I'm told that issue has been resolved, and I personally havent seen it with the replacement I have, but its still a concern. Other than that I'd have no issues putting one on a machine.