1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

PEI Sheets precut with 3m

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Geof, Dec 20, 2017.

1. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

What is the thickness of this PEI sheet (not counting the adhesive)? How does this compare to Polyimide sheets? Is there a noticeable difference between PEI & Polyimide as far as durability, adhesion, and longevity?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Don’t know anything about polyimide sheets. Used bare glass until the pei. The thickness should be on the site. Mine are already installed so can’t measure

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

@Geof Polyimide is Kapton.

@BrooklynBay Polyimide has largely been replaced by other surfaces for the vast majority of users. PEI is my personal favorite for most materials (which is why we ended up sourcing it). I'm also really liking the fairly new GeckoTek Hot surface for nylon, but find that it is too aggressive with PLA and copolyesters.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  4. BrooklynBay

@Printed Solid, thanks for your reply. How thick is the PEI which you sell for the Robo 3D 10" X 15" bed? From your last reply, it sounds like Kapton or Polyimide isn't as popular compared to newer materials. In what way is the PEI material better? So far I've tried Polyimide, and various hard self stick bed liners. The hard self stick bed liners don't last very long, and the Polyimide isn't self stick so it bubbles, and creases easily since it's so thin. I haven't tried using it with an adhesive pad.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Printed Solid likes this.
  6. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

right. thanks Geof.

Not sure what else you've tried, but kapton doesn't really work with anything. It just protects your build plate.

PEI is great because if you're using it right, your part will be easily removable once cooled down and you don't need to use any other coating over the top.

WheresWaldo, mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

1000x thumbs up.

Geof likes this.
  8. BrooklynBay

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

V6 with a thermocouple.

bed temp - 110V silicone rated for 200C or more.

10. BrooklynBay

Do we have any threads on using a thermocople instead of a thermistor? The firmware temperature limit will need to be changed too. Could the wiring handle this or does everything need to be upgraded to a heavy gauge silicone wire?

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is not a limitation of the wiring -- a 40 watt heater core can get there, but a standard thermistor can't handle 300+
    We have one older machine configured that way for the couple of times we needed a material that high

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

13. BrooklynBay

How well does PEI work with PETG? For some reason, when I use polyimide with PETG, I can't obtain first layer adhesion regardless if I use hair spray or nothing at all. I didn't encounter this issue with other bed liner materials except for polyimide.

#53 BrooklynBay, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

needs a release agent to make sure the PET doesn't stick to aggressively to the PEI, other than that, zero issues.

15. Angel C

Angel C New Member

Hey guys just got my package from @Printed Solid as they were have a sell for David’s birthday. I end up get e3d extruder, mike Kelly box (a lil worry I won’t be able to install properly who am I kidding really worry), 2 sheet of PEI (Incase I mess one up), and a maker box shirt as I just subscribe.

But anyways I had a question with after install the PEI sheet with the g code. I was wondering if there a way to still use the auto leveling without heating the extruder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm getting ready to pick up at least 2 of these enclosures in the next week or so. If needed once they arrive we can assemble together via video chat or the such. The enclosures @Printed Solid sells are quite nice and pretty straight forward (at least the ones I have purchased so far) but willing to help if I can

its in the original post :D (and a few others I think)

Stock Firmware Starting Script (I use Simplify 3D)

G28 ; home all axes

G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm

M565 Z-.90; set the offset for autolevel to your numbers

G29; Autolevel Dance

M140 S[bed0_temperature]

M190 S[bed0_temperature]

M104 S[extruder0_temperature]

M109 S[extruder0_temperature]

mark tomlinson likes this.
  17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Just be sure to watch it to make sure it probes then lifts and heats, if it doesn't let me know here or through PM and we can work it out. Simplify had some wierd issues after I changed the script and had to be closed out of then brought back up before it worked lol. You want to make sure you dont probe hot or you'll burn a hole in your pretty new PEI :(

18. Angel C

Angel C New Member

Thank Geof I’m work on the g code tonight also thanks for the offer on helping me with assemble mike box looking forward to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geof likes this.
  19. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

It looks like printed solid doesn't carry the R1/R1+ sized PEI with 3M backing any longer?

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

They just changed owners. Possible the new owner won’t stock them anymore for the Robos. You can shoot them a message and ask