1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Tried to install OP plugin Octoprint Anywhere and got this update suggestion

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SoLongSidekick, Apr 2, 2019.

1. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Ran the two commands and still no luck. Should I try adding on the two commands at the very bottom of the page?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

No those two at the bottom are for reinstalling OctoPrint, and then you will really be in a mess. Nothing Robo added works with any version of OctoPrint other than the old one they provide.

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

A couple of questions:
    No disrespect intended, however, Are you familiar with the term "sandboxing" with respect to software?
    Where is your "pip" version at for the Octoprint environment? Don't want to make any assumptions.

Again, ssh into the RPi.

cd <-- insure that you are in the home directory

source ./oprint/bin/activate <-- set up the Octoprint environment per the 'activate' script

pip -V <-- And what does the 'activate' environment report?

If pip does not report that it is the latest version then run

sudo pip install --upgrade pip <-- Having the correct permission is important

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

From what he posted earlier...
    At this point I would be ready to just return to freshly restored version of the RoboOS image and start over...
    Something must have gotten bunged up somewhere along the way.

It really doesn't help that the RoboOS image is cluttered with junk. Ultimately I guess 'we' need to figure out a way to clean it up (and not break anything) since Robo is not situated to do that... I need a weeks vacation to even think about that :)

#44 mark tomlinson, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Ok, I wonder if he took the time to make a snapshot of the sdcard before doing all of this modifications - like posted in the FAQ.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If not there are some staged that he can take and modify back to his hostname, reapply some updates and go again... but yea .... I hope so :)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@mark tomlinson good luck trying to clean up the image, it is a mess. I even tried starting from scratch with both Jessie and Stretch and no joy. the biggest issue is that even if you start fresh, RoboTheme and RoboLCD both reinstall stuff from Robo's own GitHub repositories and it just breaks everything. Most of their GitHub is very outdated.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, I know -- I remember your foray into this earlier.

I have to clone their github and clean it up first, then change everything to use the clones, then see what else is broken, fix that...
    Like I said... I need a weeks vacation to even think about it.

We would essentially then end up with a RoboCommunityOS :)

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I will warn you up front, RoboLCD uses some constructs that OctoPrint no longer uses, so it is broken if you try to use a newer version of OctoPrint, I think maybe RoboTheme may be broken too, but it isn't essential to the user interface on the printer itself.

Also note that a couple of the wizards are not working with anything but plain old linear auto-level, I think they even break using bilinear.

I know its broken, but would have to learn Python and Kivy to fix them and I haven't done any programming in like 30 years. So I simply gave up trying to fix things.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I Я a programmer
    (well, I can still play one on TV)
    so I can't duck it on those grounds

It is just a slog of work.

11. SoLongSidekick

Yes I do have a backup image of my Raspberry Pi. Funnily enough, I never touch the LCD unless doing a z-height calibration. I never use it to print, because the built-in slicer extrudes at 50% and even Robo support literally told me "well maybe just don't use the LCD screen". Robo3d "support". My printer did used to be an in-house demo unit (or maybe even tinkering, although I haven't been able to identify any hardware modifications at least), so there might be some weird tinkering that has gone on at the software level.

Here's what pip-V reports: pip 19.0.3 from /home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip (python 2.7). So it sure looks like it at least thinks it has the correct version installed. Octoprint just doesn't for some reason. Could I maybe bypass this issue by downloading a copy of the plugin and installing it that way (as opposed to their built-in plugin installer)?

Having a community image of the firmware would be amazing. Then the Robo would finally actually be what they've claimed since the original R1: truly open source. Unless my memory is really shoddy even since the beginning they haven't fully kept up with what the open source tag fully means. I purchased my R1 directly from their old headquarters building with cash (along with their in-house y axis upgrade and leadscrew upgrade as time went on), but my C2 was given to me as an extremely generous gift by someone at Robo. So I really have no footing to complain about the C2, but I have to say I'm really disappointed to see what Robo's reputation has become. They used to be outstanding on the support side, I mean I used to take my R1 right to their headquarters and Jerry would work on my machine with me for no cost. But now I see schools that have purchased printers getting outright ignored by Robo, and a general tinge of extremely negative views here on the forum (I mean a freaking prominent member here was banned for nothing more than supporting Robo here). To a certain extent it seems some of the hate is warranted. I am really curious to know what Robo has been up to. Back in 2014 I remember seeing a really beastly new printer they were working on, with printed advertising material and all. It looked kind of like a bigger replicator. Custom control board (looked a lot like what is in the C2/R2 now so I bet it is the same board), dual extruder, built-in enclosure, the works). They never released it for some reason, then released the C2/R2 about a year later. What have they been doing since then? When did the E3 come out? What have they been doing recently?

As an aside, can someone please tell me why all of my old posts have been shadow erased from my account? In "my posts" I can't see any posts from before I got the C2 a month or two ago, but low and behold here's one of my old threads: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/how-to-easily-add-build-plate-lights.2387/.

12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Nice write-up.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah the answer to that is ... dissolving. Most of their staff is (or appears to be) gone/left for other adventures. I assume they are restructuring away from the R2/C2 (which they do not even appear to have parts for ) and setting up *mostly* for the E3.

Sorry, I can't explain any of the funkyness for this forums admin-wise :) Their last real admin is also gone and I can only administer user-accounts.

I am starting down this road now and while whatever comes out might not look exactly (or even close) like what is there now I will try to make sure it is functional with the printers.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The E3 is a rebrand, It might be the future of Robo may be rebranding Chinese printers, who knows.

15. SoLongSidekick

Ha, thanks. Did the pip-V result help at all?

16. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The consensus is that you may have done too many changes which might conflict with each other. Since you made a backup of your SDcard, you may want to restore that backup and try again with the "activate" command and then the sudo pip install --upgrade pip command. (check earlier in this thread for the sequence)

Also, I can confirm that @mark tomlinson is working on a new community image for these printers.

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

What? Who?

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

E3 release "officially" on the 30th of April as an EDU machine.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

> (I mean a freaking prominent member here was banned for nothing more than supporting Robo here).<
    Yea, there have been maybe 3-4 bans from people who were not obvious spammers since 2013 :) That list is really short and (AFAIK) restricted to people who forced it.

Geof likes this.
  20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont recall anyone being banned in my time here as a moderator. Spam - yes- users? no. Quite curious for more information on that one.