1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Z-axis moves up but not down

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Peter Lindquist, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Peter Lindquist

Peter Lindquist New Member

I've opened the top, fully released the switch mounts from the carriage, set the coupling nuts properly, reassembled the mounts and confirmed switches both function. BUT- the z-axis will move in a positive direction, but when I try to move negative, the machine makes a slight 'clunk' and fails to move in the slightest.

I've had the machine a few months. Enough to start to feel comfortable, but this has me stumped. I've Google'd the 'net until their support group called and asked me to stop, I was overheating their servers.

Seriously- any suggestions? Thx.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The one of the Z home switches are failing.
    The symptoms totally match that. If one were always reading open / triggered this is exactly what it would do.

It does not have to be the switches -- it could be a single bad connection or a broken wire since the two switches are in series if one is bjorked -- you are going to fail.

And if this is NOT an R1/R1+ then you posted in the wrong place :)

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am pretty sure this is in the FAQ post and if not I need to get it in there.

ONLY UP => Bad Z switch :)

4. Peter Lindquist

Peter Lindquist New Member

Yes, it is an R1+, sorry for not specifying.

Both switches tested OK, but the terminal connectors looked a bit flaky, so I replaced. That seemed to do the trick,as the Z servos are responding properly again. Running a test print to confirm. Thank you VERY much for the guidance,

mark tomlinson likes this.