1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual extrusion mod for C2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by mark tomlinson, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There are a couple of other variations on that, but ultimately I was trying to do this "on the cheap" so to speak :)
    If I can get past the second extruder completely misbehaving I will be happy :)

Geof likes this.
  2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I meant just the one prometheus with two extruders so you werent fighting alignment offsets.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ah. OK. Well At this point alignment isn't the issue

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Most current slicing software lags well behind the hardware. I know you use S3D but have you given SLic3r a try since going dual extruders? I recall that it had an easier time (but my memory could be faulty) with duals.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, but I will :)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

S3d works best on the sigma, Promethius system (when it comes in) has been tested and proven with Cura (special scripts), Prusa's multi material is running Slic3r (and from what I understand its their go to slicer for single and multi extrusion). Dont know if thats helpful information or not :D

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have to learn Slic3r again for dual extrusion now. Not as simple as I thought it might be. By the weekend I would hope to have time to work on it some more. At this point the primary extruder is working fine (manual or sliced) and the secondary tests fine with manual controls... I just need to get a slicer to address it correctly.

Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I downloaded CURA and will try configuring some dual-extrusion profiles for OctoPrint
    I'll post them here if I can get them working :) Otherwise I will just (silently) hang my head in shame.

Geof likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you extract this into the "C:\Program Files\Cura 2.4\resources" directory (or wherever your resources folder is located) you can relaunch Cura and have a profile for the C2 w/dual extruders.

I will also generate profiles for the other flavors of Robo now that I have been beaten up by this json nightmare.

edit to remove OctoPrint

Attached Files:

#49 mark tomlinson, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  10. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson please save yourself a bunch of headaches and don't try to import the Cura 2.4 profiles into OctoPrint. OctoPrint does not work with the latest CuraEngine and uses CuraEngine version 1.5.06. The profiles are not backward compatible. You can still use Cura 2.x on your PC/Mac and just transfer the gcode files to OctoPrint but you cannot use the on rPi slicing with those profiles.

If you want to create profiles to let your C2 do the slicing for dual extruder, you need to install Cura version 15.04.6 and create the profile there, then you can import that into OctoPrint.

All this is an OctoPrint limitation and since I don't follow that development (it just works) I have no idea why they are not using a newer version of the CuraEngine except maybe some source code restriction on Linux that doesn't exist on the Mac or PC.

#50 WheresWaldo, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

<sigh> OK, I did try to figure that out ahead time to no avail.
    Still this decent if you want to use Cura.
    I will go find the older version and see about what needs to happen there.

Thanks!

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I will download the Cura profiles (v1 format) from the Pi and edit some of those to work.

13. AllenMcAfee

AllenMcAfee Guest

Hey all! Glad to see you're at it Mark, I will try to shine some light on the questions I picked up in this thread. The current C2s being sold are 19V with a 19V heater core. The Mainboard is compatible with any 7.5mm barrel jack style power supply up to 24V. As the group pointed out the heater element should match the supply you're using. We are examining moving the C2 to 24V for the UL certification process. So technically you can use 12 - 24V on your personal rigs.

The R2 is 24V, with 24V hotend heater element and a 4 ohm heater PCBA/aluminum plate/PEI stack.

And the Cura engine shipped with Octoprint on the C2 is currently locked at 15.04. We've added a Kaa IoT client on the R2 Series that will allow the printer to check for software updates released on our server, so future slicer integrations and printer features will be much easier to install than trying by hand.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I installed 15.04.03 and creating the INI files (profiles) will be much easier on that version than the editing of json scripts required for the 2.x version. I will work on that next :)

Geof likes this.
  15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

how is this coming along any luck with it? since my machine isnt really working to well i figured i might as well mess around with it and see if i can do something to it to make it worth keeping!

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is all electrically and mechanically fine. I have been playing around with various slicers trying to find a happy combination.
    Slow going since I have to create machine configs for most of them (they either don't know the C2 or don't know about the second extruder). I am certain it will be fine once I figure out the slicer side.

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This should be a link to working firmware. Been a while since I made my hacked version -- this is much cleaner.
    I will review the 'RoboOS' side LCD code and see if it will support this (again the one I had modified before mostly worked).
    This is in-synch with Robo Marlin 1.1.6

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cj-RSJAQ9MRKgPZK3EF_C2z9dRjpaCmr

18. Joseph Stevens

Joseph Stevens New Member

Attached Files:

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The small ones (top link) are the EHR-2 and the others are

At a guess -- XP series (still JST)

Perhaps @WheresWaldo or @Geof (or even @tkoco ) has a better idea. I don't have any to look at.

#59 mark tomlinson, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  20. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Smaller connector is for the temperature sensing thermistor. The larger connector is for the heater element. Both of these R2 (and C2) parts can be ordered from https://www.partsbuilt.com/. The parts come with the appropriate connector already attached.