1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrade your Robo R2 to a capacitive 5 inch touch screen (Completed)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 1, 2018.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

Ok, some notes and pics. First of all, thank you everyone for your help, I appreciate it. I took the front bezel off the printer according to Geof's post here.

When you take off that bezel, there are 8 screws total (circled); 2 on the top, 2 in the middle, and 4 on the bottom. No need to take out any more than that. I especially like this method because the instructions I got from Robo have you taking off the gantry, the bed, then the entire front panel. It takes forever and there's no need. Anyways, here's a pic of the front panel after taking the bezel off:

20190125_161737.jpg

I had to place spacers under the screen, just like @WheresWaldo said (about 2mm thick for each), and on the top two screws, I used small washers to compensate for more space. I didn't want to secure them too tightly and the washers worked perfectly. However, because of the washers and spacers, when I installed the bezel back on the front panel, the backs of the screws came into contact with the bottom plastic piece. So, just in case, I used a hacksaw and some pliers to cut two notches in the plastic, which made room for the screw heads. Not everyone will need to do this though; this is just fair warning that you might. Here's a couple pics of the notches:

20190125_172942.jpg 20190125_173252.jpg

Finally, here are before and after pics of the old and new screen. The pics don't do the new screen justice, but you can definitely see the difference.
    BEFORE:
    IMG_0408(1).jpg

AFTER:
    20190127_113058.jpg

All I did was follow everyone's instructions. I did not have to adjust the screen at all; just mount upside-down like the original. I also lost the boot screen Robo logo when the printer starts, but that's not something I'm worried about. If I ever decide to fix it, I'll replace it with a different pic anyway. This is a must-have upgrade, trust me. Especially if you have trouble with your original screen like I did. As a matter of fact, I haven't used the (original) screen in over 7 or 8 months because it was always unresponsive. I just used Octoprint for everything. But, it is very, very nice to have a gorgeous, super-responsive screen again.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  2. cheeto4493

cheeto4493 New Member

With the closing of Google+? We've lost your photos, can't see all the cool work you've put in.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

They should have gotten moved (on the G+ side) to someplace else, but they will need to edit that.
    (I think mine all moved to flickr)

ATTn: @CdRsKuLL CdRsKuLL was last seen: Jan 11, 2019 so perhaps is still listening :)

4. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Hey all, what photos are missing? btw.. I've sold my r2 now... got fed up with it to be honest.. it could have been such a good printer but due to the floored design with the cooling it left the Robo support staff with an impossible job to do.

5. cheeto4493

cheeto4493 New Member

In post #20 the pics where you did some trimming and added the washers.

6. EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext Member

Floored design with cooling? Can you elaborate on that a bit?

7. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

re - missing photos, strange as they are all showing on my screen?

re - cooling design - There's no way you can possibly achieve cooling with a small 25mm fan into an enclosed box with no way of getting the heat out of it for printing PLA, especially when using an all-metall hotend. I have never spent so much time on a printer redesigning things to get it to at least print. I doubt you will ever see a second extruder as it simply will not work reliably in its current design, cooling wise. The R2 could have been so much more and I really wanted it to be a superb out of the box experience. It's not got a lot of flaws but things like the touchscreen and bad cooling just made it fail in my eyes. Its such a shame Robo haven't addressed these problems as it would have made all the difference.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

9. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

okay, I've saved and uploaded the images that were showing for me to my server and linked.. Let me know if that's worked :)

Thanks,

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

'sall good now for me.

CdRsKuLL likes this.
  11. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Great :) Let me know if you need any further details....

This is my R2 replacement for now.. secondhand Cubicon Single.. :) paid £400 for it with a spare extruder.. so it's a bit of a bargain I think

cubicon.jpg

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd love to see a thread in the off topic section with that machine if you were up for it. Looks cool!

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Ditto :)

14. Frank van Gilluwe

Great project! Took me a couple of tries, but now working. For me, after the last sudo reboot step, and rebooting the touch still didn't work. I then powered down and powered up and it works!

For those taking the front panel off, I was still confused, even with adikted2astro's good picture above. There are many screws that are unnecessary to remove, but are close to those that need removing. Here's hopefully a bit easier view that shows the 8 screw locations to remove (green) and screws that can be left (red).
    [​IMG]
    (http://faqware.com/3dimages/R2-front_screws_868.jpg)

Once they are removed, you can unsnap the black belzel starting from the top. There are not snaps at the bottom, but two tabs, such that the bezel then slips upwards and out. When putting it back together, if you forgot, the short screws go in the bottom four positions, and the long ones in the middle and top.

A big thanks go to those that figured this all out!

#74 Frank van Gilluwe, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  15. Frank van Gilluwe

Has anyone figured a way to get the splash screen to appear after this mod? Clearly not all that important, but makes it look nice.

16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The splash screen should have nothing to do with this mod. Robo uses fbi to display the screen, and nothing changes with respect to that when doing this mod. They basically copy the framebuffer to the screen while displaying nothing from the boot sequence. None of that changed.

17. Frank van Gilluwe

Thanks - oddly it has started showing the logo! I'm about 98% sure I didn't do anything between showing the Linux login at boot and the logo now appearing during bootup. Another mystery.

18. Frank van Gilluwe

Along the process of pulling and inserting the micro SD card a number of times for this project, I got tired of how hard it is to get the micro SD card out and insert it back in. Found this handy extension that makes life far easier: https://amzn.to/2WRCpDA

[​IMG]
    It allows the use of a standard SD card or you can use a SD to micro adapter that is included with most micro SD cards. For those starting this project or doing other software mods, it may be worth it.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I used that on the C2 to avoid needing to tear it down to get to the pi

20. Frank van Gilluwe

Well my new 5" Waveshare capacitive touchscreen died after about 10 hours of use :(. Fairly sure it's a real Waveshare (there are cheap fakes out there).

Ordered a replacement, but meanwhile I have 7" Waveshare screen for another project (https://amzn.to/2Irypqe). Plugged it in and happy to find that it works fine (USB and HDMI) without any software mods. Actually sort of nice size wise, but I'll switch back to the integrated 5" when I get the replacement.