1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Artillery 3D Sidewinder X1

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geof, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello All!
    Artillery 3D asked if I would like to recieve a printer to show everyone here and on my social media accounts. I typically say no to these requests but this one had me intrigued so I said yes! This machine checked all the boxes for me :
    1. Large format (300x300x400 build area) The bed is slightly over sized so it is a fully use able area.
    2. Volcano hotend- it appears to not be a genuine but seems to work quite well. it comes with a .4 nozzle. this works quite well but I imagine down the road I will put at least a .8 nozzle on this machine.
    3. Filament runout sensor- it mounts at the top of the machine and initiates an automated routine controlled by the touch screen.
    4. TOUCH SCREEN! Capacitive! Works quite well, I was worried about the size but the menus and general use work quite well.
    5. Low price but with support included- in all my interactions with Artillery 3D they have been amazing to deal with. helped walked me through a couple hiccups with kindness and understanding. Very odd to see as I dont see that kind of service with very large companies I deal with.
    6. Silent Drivers- The only Noise is a subtle fan noise. If my robos are on (not printing- just on) I cant hear this machine running.

These links are not affiliate links - I dont use them- but there is a link to where to buy as well as an article from 3dprint.com about the machine.

Link to their direct website:

http://www.artillery3d.com

Link to the companies ali express store- Right now they have a free spool of random colored PLA included as a promotion, but nothing more that I'm aware of as far as a sale:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_14454546.pic_0.

Edit: Today I was given this link which goes to Amazon for 449.99 for this machine if anyone is interested. Just a link- no affiliate.
    https://t.co/3vBVCVwb5n

Link to a 3dprint.com article about this printer/company:
    https://3dprint.com/241289/artillery-3d-sidewinder-x1-3d-printer/

So far I have been thrilled. I have not had much time with the machine but have printed some things and am tuning a Simplify 3D .fff so here is an unboxing a few good photos of the prints I was getting up until the prints i got off the machine yesterday. Let me know what you think!

Unboxing: The box arrives flat packed much similar to other large format machines these days.
    box.jpg
    A photo I had to take to show the awesome job they did packaging this machine!
    box 2.jpg
    the machine in the box
    box3.jpg
    The machine laid out for assembly. very few printed parts- mostly metal, including the all metal spool holder
    box 4.jpg
    There is a spare parts bag which I thought was incredibly cool. including new rollers and a USB drive to use in place of a micro SD. Can use either with the machine- I prefer using a USB.
    spare parts.jpg
    Machine mostly assembled- you have to install 4 bolts to hold the z assembly to they y assembly, then connect the x and y and Z ribbon cables, end stops and filament sensors. Yes...Ribbon cables that keep the wiring so very nice!

assembled.jpg
    Machine assembled, on and in my shop. fits right in :D assembled and powered on.jpg

#1 Geof, Apr 18, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Now for some pictures of prints- initially I was getting what appeared to be over extrusion and banding : to fix this I double checked the belt tension (needed slight tension added), re aligned the z axis and checked my esteps. over extruding by about 20mm.
    banding.jpg
    after addressing those issues I loaded in black Polymaker Poly Plus PLA : you can tell it was a bit hot and the cooling isn't able to compensate for that.
    marvin black 1.jpg marvin black 2.jpg
    Then I printed a bracket to hold some items in our bathroom: Cheap Blue no name PLA
    holder 1.jpg holder 2.jpg
    It appeared there were still some issues but it turned out to be just some more tuning on my profile. I will update as I print more and let you know if it keeps getting better or worse ! Here is the last quick print of another marvin in Zyltech PLA White. It looks awesome!
    marvin 1.jpg marvin 2.jpg marvin 3.jpg

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Reserved

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Reserved

5. Regenerate3d

Regenerate3d New Member

Hi All,

So just opened up my X1 as I've got issues with cables and damage. I look at the motherboard and the Z Axis stepper driver is inserted but on on some of legs like at an angle. The Z Axis is working fin but when i push stepper driver in so all pins are seated the driver get extremely hot! whats going on here I've never see anything like this before with stepper drivers.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey sorry don’t frequent here often. Attach some photos and I’ll try to remember to come back and take a look. At a guess there is some bent pins on the stepper driver and when you push it in they may be shorting. They do get warm , so how hot is hot ?

7. Maptogram

Maptogram New Member

It looks great! I hope your prints are great as well. I am using my prusa and I am very happy with it.