1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

TouchPad LED setup

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by spanishcop, Nov 15, 2018.

1. spanishcop

spanishcop Member

So I did this a little different. I actually installed tube LEDs and went to Lowes and picked a couple plastic holders to mount on existing screws.

[​IMG]

So I setup the LEDs and ran the wires behind black panels as everyone else did to hide wires. Rather than messing with tapping into printer I decided to have Seperate power source and run wires out a small hole in the back (access from lower panel under bed).

Wires then run to a touch pad that allows me:
    Power on /off LED
    Make LEDs brighter or Dimmer. It will memorize last setting when you repower lights on.

This way I'm not chancing any electrical issues with printers electrical setup it remains untouched like designed.

It also allows me to not have to keep lights on when ever printer is on. If I want to keep lights on I can and if I want lights off I can and just use factory LEDs.

I have attached pictures and a video of the parts I used and my setup.

It gives a fantastic evenly distributed light inside the printer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video below of how the lights work:

Hope you enjoyed my little project.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1 spanishcop, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

excellent work.

spanishcop likes this.
  3. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

That's awesome. I may end up doing something like this because the step-downs I'm using for the LEDs are p.o.s. Having one of the capacitors on them explode certainly has a high pucker factor, especially when you see smoke rising up from the bottom of the printer.

4. adikted2astro

Can you tell us where you got the tube LEDs and what brand they are? I'm going to do this modification and replace thew LED strip lights I installed. But, I can't seem to find what you have.

#4 adikted2astro, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. adikted2astro

I'm actually trying to find a mini dimmer that I can mount on the front panel of the printer. I replaced the resistive touch screen with a capacitive screen, but doing so meant losing the USB port on the front of the printer. That location would be perfect for a small, mini dimmer switch; touch or manual.