1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

SmoothieBoard For the R2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Gary Boyce, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Has anyone upgraded the R2 to use a SmoothieBoard? My main board died and I am considering installing a SmoothieBoard. From what I'm seeing, it looks pretty fantastic.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I have a MKS SBase (Smoothie Clone) that is set aside for the R2 but haven't had an opportunity to do the transplant. not sure I am getting to it anytime soon either. Too many other unfinished projects that I have been told must be finished first. Plan on running Marlin 2.0.x. I looked at smoothie and like the concept of a single file to change configuration, but I don't have time to learn something new.

3. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

I hear that! I'm willing to give it a go if you think its worth it!

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

The hardware is capable of more that their proprietary board can offer, so personally I think it is worth it, but like I said my time is more valuable.

Gary Boyce likes this.
  5. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

So, I go the smoothieboard and have it installed in my R2. Mostly it isn't a terrible install.
    I have one part that I need some assistance on. can you tell me how many steps per millimeter the x and y motors do?
    I have it set at 80 steps per mm because that's what it says in the marlin firmware but my print is coming out like a 10th of the size it should be on the x and y axis.

#5 Gary Boyce, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If it truly is 1/10 the size, then try 800 steps per mm, ZI am not sure Smotthieware works the same as Marlin with regard to steps. for some reason I thought Smoothieware used something other than steps per mm.

7. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

I just got it right before I saw your post. Its double what the marlin says. So,
    alpha_steps_per_mm 160 # Steps per mm for alpha stepper
    beta_steps_per_mm 160 # Steps per mm for beta stepper
    gamma_steps_per_mm 1600 # Steps per mm for gamma stepper
    extruder.hotend.steps_per_mm 291 # Steps per mm for extruder stepper

8. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Here is my config for anyone that wants to smoothie their R2.
    I couldn't get the IR Z probe to work right. So, I just leveled my bed and set the offset. I have printed at 200mmps and gotten pretty good result with some ghosting. Cura sends the Y axis the wrong way but Slic3r works well.
    This config is for the real Smoothieboard not the MKS version. It may be the same but I don't know.

Attached Files:

#8 Gary Boyce, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019