1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Printhead fell apart?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Amanda Galiano, May 14, 2019.

1. Amanda Galiano

Amanda Galiano New Member

I had some filament stuck and it looks like my print head fell apart. The black rubber part came off, and that's easy enough to stick back, but where does the small piece go? It doesn't seem to fit anywhere (I assumed it went into the hole in the printhead, but it doesn't fit).

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There is a hole in the side of the hot zone (the bottom part) of the printhead, stick the small glass bead in there and route the wires upward, then place the silicone sock back over the bottom. The sock holds that part in place.

Technical term is thermistor, that little glass bead is what is used to tell the printer how hot the printhead is.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can replace the black rubber with some kapton tape (example here) just use a couple of turns to wrap around that heater block and "stick" the thermistor to it. Some of those hotends did not have a hole for the thermistor. You must use kapton tape so that it survives the hotend getting -- hot :)

4. Amanda Galiano

Amanda Galiano New Member

Thank you all! It appears to be working again! I really thought it had something to do with the fan or something since there wasn't a place on the printhead for it. I've had this thing for years. I can't believe that part has never come off before.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is one of the original "R1" style and you were lucky it lasted that long :) Some kapton tape though and you are set for years to come (at least for that issue)

6. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I would recommend that you upgrade the heat block to attach the thermistor. I bought my machine used, and my original set up had a damaged strap.

You have several options. One style allows you to keep the glass thermistor, and attaches with a washer & set screw. Another type is a clamp which squeezes a metal thermistor. I use a screw in design which replaces the washer & set screw.