1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer beeping I can't figure out or stop

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by GriZag, Jun 8, 2019.

1. GriZag

GriZag New Member

For a while my pritner will make a long beeping noise while the print bed is rising to initiate a print. Wasn't a big deal and the print quality didn't seem affected. Today, the beeping now happens while it's printing. It's not a solid beep, kinda stutters at irregular intervals. No real pattern to where the head is at or direction it's moving. Anyone else have similar experiences?

2. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

It sounds like there is a problem with the motor or stepper driver. The motors can make noises like speakers under the right electrical conditions.
    If you have another motor you could try swapping it, or just move the Z motor wire on the board to the X or Y and see if when you move it if it makes any noise. Start with small movements since there are differences in steps per mm between the Z and other axis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Could be that the Z axis threaded rod might need lubrication.

GriZag and albert3d like this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Beeps without movement are generally a sign of the stepper missing steps. The lubrication might help (easier for motor to move) but it could also be a failing stepper motor or the stepper driver. I'd start with swapping the stepper driver, but sadly (on the C2/R2) those are not swappable so you would have to replace the control board or the stepper motor. Swapping it to another motor (the drive cable) for a test is a great idea (as @Gary Boyce is leaning towards) since that will tell you if it is the board or the motor.

GriZag likes this.
  5. GriZag

GriZag New Member

Thanks for the trouble shooting tips. I'll dig around in there and see if that helps figure it out. Much appreciated!