1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Upgrade your Robo R2 to a capacitive 5 inch touch screen (Completed)

Discussion in 'Projects' started by CdRsKuLL, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

Ok, I made the plunge to upgrade my screen and all was going great until I ran the final updates. Did I run out of space? What do I need to do?

thank you

Paul

Attached Files:

• kivy.PNG
      kivy.PNG
      File size:
      261.9 KB
      Views:
  2. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Just enter Y.. its saying can it use a bit more space.. not that you have run out. :)

3. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

I did press Y and then enter and the next line shows abort, and then command line

4. CdRsKuLL

CdRsKuLL Member

Have you tried running that last command again?

5. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

Of the below commands, are all done at one time or do I do one at a time?

6. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

Ok, I have that part fixed. I tried to run the commands all together instead of individually.. Now my problem is while the screen looks great and it appears as it should, when I tab an icon its upside down from what the picture shows?

I made sure the screen was 180 as was the original so I did not make the initial txt change you mentioned as the screen was not flipped around?

7. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

I am still at a standstill with the screen looking as it should but the touch is flipped. Any help please?

paul

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

try this, in the file /boot/config.txt there is a line near the bottom that starts with dtoverlay, look for an entry on that line that says swapxy=0 and change it to swapxy=1 or visa versa.

9. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

Thanks, but that did not work either. Just giving up on a reverse screen. I flipped it in the regular view, I lost just a hair from the top of the screen, but still can access them. Other than that everything works great.

10. BLKFLD

BLKFLD New Member

Hello,

I'm not a raspberry pi person, but am willing to try this out or throw my R2 from my window.

Are there any more current firmware builds that include the things covered in this thread?

I have my non working screen out and am trying to decided between resistive and capacitive screens. I think I can manage the changes in code, but will happily accept a prepackaged one if it exists.

related question: can I do offset and bed leveling remotely? without the screen plugged in at all?

any other updates to this thread?

Thank you,

Oscar

11. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

I say do it and do NOT use a resistive screen. Absolutely use capacitive. I made the change a while ago; I think over a year ago, and I haven't had a single problem with my screen or the printer functions from that screen since. The upgrade is easy enough to do, the hardest part is making sure you make the necessary changes in your config.txt file and porting into your pi via SSH. But, the person who started this thread did a very good job explaining the process. Just follow his instructions. Also make sure you have the mesh bed leveling (or UBL) Marlin code.

I am positive you can do bed leveling and z-offset remotely using Octoprint because that's how I always do it; never with the screen. But, whether or not the Pi will kick back an error because the screen isn't plugged in is another issue. I have no idea if it will or not.

12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

If my touch screen ever dies, I will consider this project. The UBL option is not enabled in the official Robo version of Marlin. However, the UBL option can be easily enabled with some editing of the config files and recompiling the Official Robo version of Marlin. I wonder if someone knowledgeable about compiling the Marlin code would undertake that task and post the resulting hex file -or- perhaps write a detailed tutorial on compiling Marlin code -or- post a link to such a tutorial.

13. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

The UBL version of Marlin has already been posted in the forum. Quite a while ago in fact, at least two years. I know that I've been using it for that long. http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/marlin-for-the-r2-ubl-enabled.19405/

mark tomlinson likes this.