1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Robo 3D R1 plus with RepRap Discount Full Graphics Display printing too close to the glass.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by XxGingerSharkxX, Jun 12, 2019.

1. XxGingerSharkxX

Sorry if there already is a thread that explains this problem. I couldn’t find it.

Okay, I have had my Printer for about a week now. Got it from a pawn shop. It is working fine when I’m using my PC with Mattercontrol or Cura. But I wanted to use the RepRap FGD so I could print from an SD card. This is the one I bought from Amazon.
    [​IMG]
    I installed the frimware with the Ug8lb (I’m sure i got that wrong) library version 18.1. I used Ardunio 1.0.6 to load the code and the things that are working are as follows.

-load gcode from SD
    -preheating nozzle and bed
    -and all other features

But when the print starts, the nozzle is too close to the bed. Like the layer height is set to 0. Is there a line of code I can fix for the z-axis? Is this a regular problem? If anyone knows, I could use the help. If it’s on my slicers side I can upload the gcode it produces later. I think it’s something with the z-offset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. XxGingerSharkxX

Fixed it. I just needed to go into my machine settings and switch the gcode from Marlin to RepRap. Works perfectly. The only isoniazid is that it will randomly stop printing and the temp in the nozzle will drop to zero. I ordered a new 12v 40w heat cartridge. That should fix it, I hope. My new E3dV6 did come with one, but it was a 24v 30w. Always check the amazon listing. Lol

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is normally the firmware shutting it down for an error. Often it is the "temperature feel too much during print" error (you will need to scan through the entire GCode terminal to find the actual error).

That is a bad thermsitor.

5. XxGingerSharkxX

#5 XxGingerSharkxX, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It may not be the thermistor itself, but a bad wire/connection in the wiring to the thermistor.

Find the firmware error reported and you will know.

7. XxGingerSharkxX

I’ll check when I get my new heat cartridge from MatterHacker. Until then, it’s not staying offline.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, the heater core is a fine alternative since there is no easy way to know if it is the heater core or the thermistor (but the thermistor is more common). Doesn't hurt to have spares since the cores will eventually die too :) Plus, all cheap parts to have on hand.

9. XxGingerSharkxX

True

10. XxGingerSharkxX

Hey is there a line of code to add or change for using the current E3d v6 thermistor cartridge? My new heat cartridge came in and I want check the frimware on the max temp.
    [​IMG]

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

12. XxGingerSharkxX

Okay edited the code, all parts are in place, and started a print from the RepRap FGD. I have her printing a spool arm. Crossing my fingers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. XxGingerSharkxX

Update, okay it kept failing after new heat cartridge. I believe it was not due to bad parts, nor frimeware error. Rather it was the cooling fan for the Ardunio board was not spilling. Something was jamming it. It is now functioning and has gone past its points of failing. Crossing my fingers again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They used to have heat issues with no fans before the bottom cover was added. Needless to say, that did not help and if your fan misbehaves you are in trouble. :)

15. XxGingerSharkxX

Victory!!!!!! She is printing beautifully. I may replace the fans with Bequite ones. And get a duel fan set for cooling the filament like this.
    [​IMG]