1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved No power to my part cooling fan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Toole, May 18, 2019.

1. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I noticed the fan was not running so I unplugged it and checked for voltage. None. any ideas where to next?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is it turned on in the slicer? That fan is controlled by slicer settings.

3. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Yes. In the control panel I turned it to 100% after the second layer and nothing. I plugged the part fan into the extruded fan and the fan works. I read the thread about changing out the ramps 1.4 and the link to the board on Amazon is not available. Will any ramps 1.4 board work if it ends up being that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, all RAMPS 1.4 boards are the same.
    Beware -- there are some claiming to be 1.5 or 1.6 -- they are not RepRap approved (in general) so stick with a 1.4 board.
    Also -- I have had mixed results buying just the RAMPS. 30-50% of the time I get a bad board (they are so cheap and so cheaply made that QA is non-existent). However -- buying the All-in-one kits (RAMPS, Arduino, stepper drivers) has been fine. Those have all hda working parts.

5. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Check the connection on the RAMPS board. Maybe the plug for the fan fell out or is loose? These machines create a lot of vibration.

Mike Toole likes this.
  6. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

What about this one?

Longruner 3D Printer Kit RAMPS 1.4 Controller Board + 5pcs A4988 StepStick Stepper Motor Driver Module + Heat Sink for 3D Printer Reprap, CNC Machine or Robotics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B9PQDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DLP4Cb9EV2RNS

7. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

I will tear down and inspect this weekend. Thanks!!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sure. All of them are much the same if they are a RAMPS 1.4 board. As I mentioned in other threads I have had some issues in the past with buying just the RAMPS where I got bad ones. One time it took 3 boards coming in to get one that worked. Just a hassle. When I buy the all-in-one kits that has not happened. Your Mileage May Vary -- good luck.

Mike Toole likes this.
  9. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

Well, I ordered a kit and got both boards. Should I change out both? I have never loaded firmware which I believe will be necessary. I also found several bad wires when I rang them. So it looks like a total retire while I’m at it. May as well go back together fully new?
    Also, any ideas where I can find all the connectors and pins?
    Thank you in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

You could replace everything but it's not necessary unless the part is bad. It doesn't hurt to keep spare parts which are simple to replace when the time comes. Check EBay or Amazon for the connectors. I've found some things at a local Micro Center store. You might have one in your area.

11. Mike Toole

Mike Toole Member

What type of connectors are they? I went to our local electronics store and they had nothing like them. Do you know what the name/type is?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Mike Toole likes this.