1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 2.0.x release for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bradf80, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

I am unable to link anything, unfortunately. But the thread that got me started here was labeled Marlin 1.1.9 Release for Robo R1+.

Well, I accidentally lost everything I just typed out because I wasn't thinking and copied something else. Please let me know If I should start a new thread for this issue or not before I type this all out again lol. Thanks so much!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I would start a new thread :)

Yacobeeb likes this.
  3. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

Thanks for the reply buddy! I just wanted bradf80 too hear my experience with his firmware. Should I just like this this forum as a reference or something?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh not at all. It’s still somewhat active, thought you had a question still :) new thread for that, thanks and praise anywhere! :)

Yacobeeb likes this.
  5. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

Just to clarify, The firmware did not work for me as I had hoped and I had issues with it. It fixed my z-offsets not being recognized but it made my extruder slam into my print bed after canceling prints. It may have been something I did but IDK.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check your slicer for he Gcode it will execute when you cancel.

Yacobeeb likes this.
  7. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

YAY HELP! :) thanks for the input guys!
    So it slammed down the extruder for a preloaded file in MatterControl 1.5 and a file I made it Cura. I open the code from the Cura file but I do not see anything that would tell the printer to lower the Z-axis. I do see this which is what I assume I was looking for
    "; cancel_gcode = G1 X10 Y200 Z20\n". both times this happened the z-axis was about 30MM high, and after I cancel it hesitates for second and increases speeds higher than the set F8000 in the gcode and just slammed the z-axis down. I can list what I did step by step if that would help.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Not familiar with Cura so can't tell you where to look, but somewhere the host program will have a script it executes on a cancel. It should NOT really change the Z in that case, it should only HOME X and Y.

G1 X0 Y0

probably at most.

This is what I have in Simlpify3d:

Yep, nada. If I cancel it just stops. Not the greatest since I would then want to do a HOME to move the hot nozzle away

9. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

So here is what happened, sorry for it being a little long. I am open to trying pretty much anything. Not sure if I did something wrong or what here.

1. So I had the original firmware for the ROBO 3d r1+ (Had issues with it not recognizing z-offset)
    2. Followed a video tutorial for setting up/configuring Marlin 1.1.9 for the ROBO 3D R1+ (still had an issue with it not recognizing the z-offsets)

3. After many days of searching, I found slider240sx’s post the resembled my issue and I read through the entire thread which brought me to this thread that bradf80 posted. I ended up downloading the .rar file that WheresWaldo reposted for him.

4. I opened up the marlin file in the Arduino software and just flashed the config.h file.

5. After it successfully uploaded, I started a test print from MatterControl 1.5 (I am pretty sure it slammed into the bed after I canceled it because it seemed to be stuck)

6. I figured this was my fault because I think I should have flashed the Marlin file then the config.h file. So, I uploaded the marlin file that was provided in the Marlin 2.0 Bug Fix file, then re-uploaded the config.h file.

7. After this, I just tried to control the printer with MatterControl 1.5. I tired homing it and it seemed to work ok. So I set my offset in the start G-Code within MatterControl and FINALLY it recognizes the z-axis offset set! YAY!

8. Successfully printed the box the calibration box and circle no problem. ( did notice some buzzing sounds coming from the motors which I did see Bradf80 comment about in the config.h file. Thought this was reasonably ok for now)

9. Tried to print something I sliced in Ultimaker Cura 4.1.0 and noticed when it started to print it wasn't accepting the start G-code in MatterControl. I copy and Pasted start G-code in printer settings in Cura.

10. Viewing the layers of the file looks totally fine in Cura but in MatterControl it views the file as stretched/distorted and going through the print bed. I thought this may be the z-offset Extention I previously downloaded from the marketplace in Cura so I went ahead uninstalled it and re-added and reconfigured my printer in Cura.

11. I just seemed to be having the printer to read the start G-code coming from Cura in general. Just to confirm it the printer would print files without issues using MatterControl and its preloaded files I started another print.

12. I started to print the whistle in there and it read the start G-code then immediately finished the print and read end G-code.

13. Thinking this may be a bad file I started to print the hair comb file and it was stuck so I canceled it which lead to the extruder once again increasing the speed and slamming down the z-axis into the bed, making the left switch bracket come off and stop while the right contact point reached the bottom of the rod leaving it slanted. See pictures here.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, for starters ... lets pull Cura out of the picture and go back to using something else.
    MC is a fine alternative. See if it homes and does a small test print OK.

Yacobeeb likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

and start a new thread... this is not related to Marlin...

Yacobeeb likes this.
  12. Yacobeeb

Yacobeeb New Member

Consider Cura gone. I am happy to start a new thread. This slamming into the bed issue has only happened on this Marlin Bug Fix 2.0 firmware. I have printed many things on both the original ROBO 3D firmware and Marlin 1.1.9. Both of these have worked fine besides them not recognizing the z-offset. I am a little scared to keep using this Bugfix version since I think it has bent one of the threaded rods a little and I will have to bend it back at some point.

Made a new thread here BTW

#32 Yacobeeb, Jul 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. Mauricio Bremer

Mauricio Bremer New Member

Hi everyone, I'm trying to update to marlin 2.0 in my robo R1+ with a reprap discount smart controller.

Problem is it's not detecting the heat bed even tho I uncommented the "#define PIDTEMPBED" and everything in there related to the bed temp. But I don't know if I have to mod the "DEFAULT_bedKp"(set to 10.0) DEFAULT_bedKi (set to .023) DEFAULT_bedKd (set to 305.4).

I saw on REDDIT I should add aslo "#define IS_RAMPS_EFB" under the smart controller, but didn't work.

Any ideas on what to do to be able to activate the heat bed on marlin 2.0 in the R1+?

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

See my response in the other thread, but this is the correct thread for talking to people who HAVE used Marlin 2.0

15. DALE8287

DALE8287 New Member

need some help with configuration will not upload keep getting error messages one after another
    was using marlin 1.0.0. for ever decided to update to 2.0 now nothing is working

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Start by posting your errors and your configuration.h
    Updating the firmware from 1.x to 2.x is not simple, but doable with the right configuration file and libraries.

17. DALE8287

DALE8287 New Member

i just uploaded it again and now its says done uploading
    but have a blank screen on lcd
    RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Did you do this? He did not have the full-graphic version and the firmware is different between the full graphic and the reprap discount (there is no RepRap discount full graphic so I assume you have the full graphic while the original poster had the rep rap discount LCD)

19. DALE8287

DALE8287 New Member

no i havent done anything yet i need to find a firmware that will work dont care what version it is as long as it will rum the robo r1 +

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, this firmware should work if you adjust the configuration.h correctly for the LCD you have.
    In reality the firmware should be working right now if you flashed it to the arduino, but you just do not have an LCD configured. You should be able to print from your host program.

If you don't want new features then load the stock Robo R1+ firmware...
    The stock firmware is over here along with instructions: https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000717071-Updating-firmware-with-Arduino