1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Any chance of using 3mm filament on the R2?

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Frank van Gilluwe, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Frank van Gilluwe

Ok, I misordered some almond/bone colored filament as 3mm, and the 1.75 is no longer available. It's PET+, but the color is perfect for my project. PLA is not an option due to low temps.

Anyway, I see in the R1 forum that a new hotend might be required, but the R1 is a different design. Anyone use 3mm in the R2? Is it even possible? I don't care about the filament runout detector (I can stuff it with some 1.75 to fool it). If it fits (a big if), it seems like just dropping the feed rate a bit might make it work.

[​IMG]

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to update the hotend and feed. The hexagon stock is configured with a 2mm id feed. 3mm is too big

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you really needing to swap over you may look into @WheresWaldo V6 and titan combo thread. The titan can do 3mm or 1.75 (one part swap but does require full disassembly) then a 3mm V6 and 1.75mm V6 but that is ALOT to go through to run one spool.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Frank van Gilluwe

Thanks Mark & Geof. Sort of what I expected. Yep, more work and expense than it's worth. I'll have to try harder to find the color/filament type that works. Already spent an hour searching, with only one company having what I need in Australia (that doesn't ship to the USA). Seems the material is out of production.

Geof likes this.
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Try this filament available from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/FilaCube-1-75mm-Generation-Printer-Filaments/dp/B076Z26NS5