1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved R1 + bed not heating up.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Aug 5, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

So I after a long print (well long for me anyway). I tried starting another print. I noticed my print bed was not pre heating. I am still getting a temp reading from the ambient room temp. It seems a little spotty. If I close the software and restart it, it seems to be ok for a little while?.? Any thoughts?​

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hard to say without more details, but it could be a failing MOSFET on the RAMPS board, if I were to venture a guess in a vacuum.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. robert albrecht

Thanks for the link. I am going to open it up when I get home. I am guessing the easiest thing I am looking for is to make sure nothing came loose. Second looking for anything that is scorched. What other trouble shooting steps should I try before ai buy a new Ramps?

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Wires and connections/connectors tight and not burned. You may want to remove the plug from the RAMPS that the wires land on and look at the plug socket itself to verify it is not burned.

The bed heater is 11 amp draw. If things get loose it increases resistance (and thus increases the heat of the connectors/wires).

6. robert albrecht

Thanks... I am doing all of this with printer NOT plugged in I am guessing LOL.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)
    If you want to do it right then YES.

Be safe.

8. robert albrecht

9. robert albrecht

Always LOL

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, here is my sad commentary on parts :)
    The RAMPS boards are cheap and as such they are also, poorly quality controlled.
    I have had mixed results buying stand-alone boards. Once I had to by 3 to get one that actually worked (I went with three different sellers and Amazon Prime handled the returns painlessly on the bad ones). Still, time wasted. So as long as it is a RAMPS 1.4 you are fine and you might even get a working one. I have had better luck with the all-in-ones kits (they have all of the electronics -- RAMPS/Arduino/Stepper Drivers/LCD) however those are more expensive (about 40 bucks normally).

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The all-in-one kits contain clone Arduino megas (a real one would cost a lot more) but I have not yet bought a clone Mega that didn't work. I have had some die over time, but out of the box they all worked. The RAMPS boards are a different story.

12. robert albrecht

Thanks... I just grabbed a 1.4 with same day delivery for 7.99. So when I get home I will check out everything. At best, I will have an extra RAMPS for later use. At worse, I will have a new ramps. The only problem is the go buy the pictures are really small and I cant figure out how to enlarge them LOL

#12 robert albrecht, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, @Geof might have larger ones he can link to. The forums is very picky about how large of a photo it will allow you to embed.

14. robert albrecht

Thanks... I just sent him a message to see if he still has the larger photos..

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey all, unfortunately that was multiple computers ago and they have been lost. What do you have questions about and I can try to help you, I’ll also respond to your dm :)

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can enlarge (at least on windows) by opening the page in your browser and hitting CONTROL+ (the control key and the plus key) until it gets larger. Granted the resolution does not improve BUT they do become more visible. Like @Geof says and questions you have we can likely answer. (or take better pictures)

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a machine that needs rewired, if I ever get around to it I’ll try to replace those crappy photos younger me took :) I think Mark and I did that thread remotely together late one weekend night- I was not very good with taking photos :)

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  18. robert albrecht

So I just got home opened up the bottom and I am guessing this is the problem?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Those connectors are available separately.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I strongly suggest you just replace the ramps board. It’s common that a loose connection fries that and the heather stops working - and you may get lucky with the connectors- but you never know if something else is damaged or weakened. For the small amount a board costs just replace it

mark tomlinson likes this.