1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R1 Plus - Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Aug 8, 2019.

1. JWW

JWW Member

I've had my R1+ for about 4 years or so with very few issues. My prints are excellent. I'm still using MaterControl. I tried printing this 3 times now. It disconnected about 22 hours into the print with only a couple hours left to go and approximately the same spot in the printing process. I haven't had this problem since I've owned the printer. Any clues other than telling me to switch slicers. If this a firmware issue, software or hardware issue?

I've never printed from the SD slot on my Robo R1+, I don't own a SD card so I haven't tested it. I assume they're talking about a SCXC Class ?? card? Does it matter which one I purchase?

2019-08-08_3-39-50.jpg

2. JWW

JWW Member

2019-08-08_11-43-12.jpg ... the printer disconnects about 13mm from the top of this model.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I suspect it is not model related -- sounds like the Arduino is loosing connection so I'd start with using the SD card like you are looking at (any class 10 card is fine -- I prefer SanDisk, but any will do). If that doesn't sort it then it is a faulty Arduino Mega. If that DOES sort it then your USB cable and connection is the guilty party.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Too many people don't realize that quality USB cables matter at the data speeds the printers use (it is high speed and long-term)... I front all of my FDM printers (Robo or not) with OctoPrint so that is even better if you use a good quality cable.

5. albert3d

albert3d Member

Could be the USB cable is flaking out on you or the PC is going into sleep mode during the print. I gave up printing via USB long ago. If you need an SD card to print with, you can get one like below. It is similar to what came with my Robo R1s. Even better, you can get an LCD controller with an SD slot. That opens up even more control over the prints and makes it less dependent on a PC.

https://www.partsbuilt.com/micro-sd-card-16gb-micro-center/

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. albert3d

albert3d Member

ah...Mark beat me to it :)

7. JWW

JWW Member

8. JWW

JWW Member

Is that still available? Is it somewhat plug and play?

-JW:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, you plug it in*, reload the firmware and you are good. Here is an example (again from Amazon-- just an example):

https://smile.amazon.com/SunFounder-ATmega2560-16AU-Board-Compatible-Arduino/dp/B00D9NA4CY

*unplug the RAMPS, then plug in the Arduino and remount them both
    I think there is a thread with pictures... if not the RAMPS Redo thread @Geof did has most of it as far as removing the RAMPS is concerned. You would just re-use the RAMPS card you already have

Worst case we can walk you through it

11. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks again ...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are welcome. I had one of the Robos that got to where the USB connection to the Arduino was loose and 'wiggly' which caused connection problems. New Arduino board sorted that too.

13. JWW

JWW Member

Me again,

... this is the reason I asked exactly what SD card fits in the Robo R1+. Obviously this SD card doesn't fit or I have an odd ball Robo?

20190809_151210.jpg

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

MicroSD cards. If you format them on Windows use 32GB or less (and FAST-32 format). Will be fine if you leave them factory formatted -- not sure how large of a card (memory size) that the Arduino can support.

Oddly enough the LCD controllers (if you add one) all use standard size SD cards just like the one you are showing in that picture. Originally the Robo use full-size SD cards but as you can see that slot has been adapted to use the micro sd. Probably that was done with the R1+ update (although it might have been true for later R1 units)

15. JWW

JWW Member

Okay,

So I've read 'several' threads on printing from the micro SD card. One mentioned to rename the file to auto0.g, which I tried. I also watched the video that Lee posted. I also tried exporting the g-code and not renaming the file to auto0.g. So I have more questions;

1. On my computers card reader the pins go down, on the Robo the pins on the micro SD go up? I assume the micro SD card only goes in one way?

2. When I click on Queue ... then select SD Card, or Load files, nothing happens. I was expecting to see a file browser or something allowing me to select a file to be printed, but nothing happens. No selection window pops up.

-JW:

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The auto0g thing was a hack robo did in some versions of their firmware so you could put the card in then turn on the printer and have it autostart the print. Otherwise you load the SD card in (use all uppercase letters and NO spaces in filemname -- keep it 8.3 format) and your slicer will have a way to start the print from the SD card. If you use an LCD it will have a way to launch the print. The pins go down IIRC (been a long time since I used the on-board one and I no longer have a printer with one installed as they all have LCD screens now).

Which slicer/host program you are using determines how you launch it -- they all have a slightly different process so which one are you using?

17. JWW

JWW Member

As the OP said, I'm still using MatterControl.

2019-08-10_10-36-41.jpg

18. JWW

JWW Member

... just trying to get this to print. No need in buying other accessories until I figure out what the problem is. I'd love to have the LCD but I don't at the moment.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

OK, rename it all uppercase and no spaces and no more than 3 characters in the extension: MYFILE.GCO (for example)

edit: moot unless you are using an LCD since the internal SD card ONLY works with the autoxx stuff. The host programs may not be able to see it.

#19 mark tomlinson, Aug 10, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member