1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved R1 Plus - Disconnecting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JWW, Aug 8, 2019.

1. JWW

JWW Member

... so I will order one of the LCD Smart Controllers. What's the 20 dollar difference between these two? It isn't clear to me which control board option to select either if I purchased from the UltiMachine site. I just don't want to end up with something I can't use OR have to buy something else since I'm clueless.

Also is there a case or enclosure for this?

-JW:

2019-08-10_16-30-26.jpg 2019-08-10_16-32-44.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

4. JWW

JWW Member

I should mention that my printer is printing beautifully which makes this even more frustrating. Okay, so I'm like totally confused. I'm not sure why this is so difficult. I don't consider myself stupid. So are you saying that I can't print anything via my micro SD card unless it's a auto0.g file?

The first screen capture below shows what I have installed on my micro SD card. I have the actual .STL file copied there as well. The other two files were created by MatterControl Queue -> g-code -> export to folder or SD card option. Then I renamed them.

2019-08-11_10-31-12.jpg

I fire up MatterControl on my desktop, make a connection to the 3D printer and insert the micro SD card into the Robo micro SD port. I click on Queue ->SD Card -> Load Files and the following screen appears.

Anyway, I went ahead and clicked on print and it's printing. Hopefully this will isolate the problem.

-JW:

2019-08-11_10-16-22.jpg

5. JWW

JWW Member

... oops, I should of mentioned, it is printing from the SD card and I'm not connected to my desktop computer any longer.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nope, it depends on the host program :) Some know how to ask marlin to get the SD files off of the Arduino card reader and ... some do not. Sounds like you have it sorted. The "advantage" to the "AUTO0.G" file naming was that if it worked you could just plug in the SD card and turn on the printer. Robo did some other silly stuff with that code they added to marlin so "most" of the time it worked, but not always :) I prefer to use the host program to kick off the print. If you do that and want to shutdown the host program -- just unplug the USB cable first and it will leave the printer doing its thing.

7. JWW

JWW Member

... so I should rephrase my question. Are you saying that MatterControl won't print from the micro SD cards unless it is a AUTO0.G file? That is the only way I have been successful. It doesn't even recognize the other files on the micro SD card. Of course I don't know how well it will print but that's another story.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you name it that way it will work with or without mattercontrol consenting - Marlin itself is kicking that off and apparently MC can see and monitor it. It sounds as though MC can't see the Arduino SD card reader and (as I may have mentioned) that is a mixed bag -- most slicers/host programs can't. They all work fine with the LCD controller SD cards.. (for what it is worth) but less so with that minimalist one Robo used stock.

9. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks Mark. So, if this works ... what is the procedure to I configure and save those setting for a particular model with specific settings such as extruder temp, supports, speed etc. before exporting to the SD card? I'm confused, do I select Generate ( I assume that's called slicing) in MaterControl after I make all the necessary changes, then go to the Queue and export to ... whatever..

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. JWW

JWW Member

Thanks again Mark. I had a successful print printing directly from the micro SD card. Hopefully I wasn't simply lucky. The full Graphic Smart LCD Controller should be here this week. If there is an accurate thread here on its installation and firmware modification I'd sure appreciate the link.

So, was it the auto0.g that printed 'or' the MYFILE.GCO that actually printed. After a while, I did click on the Print button. If you look at the screen capture above you'll see it says, File not found on disk 'SD_CARD'. Sure is confusing to me.

-JW:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I honestly have no clue :)
    The auto0.g SHOULD print at power on with no computer connected and no host program connected however, from my own experimentation (years ago now) it was ... a mixed bag. Usually that worked as expected. For certain if your host program can read the SD card contents and you launch it that way (and then pull the USB cable) it works fine as well (been a couple of years since I tried that one too, but the firmware has not changed in even longer).

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Trust me on this -- doing it with an LCD controller is far superior ...