1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Need a little help with some lifting.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robert albrecht, Aug 12, 2019.

1. robert albrecht

Printed a long piece over night and grabbed it this morning.. It looks like one of the corners lifted. (Lots of support material). I am using a E3D v6 hot end printing with PETG 235/70 temps. I do have a second piece of regular window glass on top of my print bed. (The original bed was damaged). I printed parallel along the length of the bed. I used the hairspray method to help with adhesion. Any other info need to help with my issue??

Any suggestions?? [​IMG]

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Been a long time since I messed with PET but generically -- when I get lifts like that either the bed is too hot or too cold.
    It can be wet filament too...

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Also a super clean bed helps, and I mean cleaned using an alcohol wipe. I have had luck with both super clean (which can be tedious to maintain) or with a bed that has some dry hairspray on it. PETG is just temperamental that way, once you find what works then stick to it.

4. robert albrecht

since I am using an additional pane of glass should I increase the heat of the bed to compensate?

5. robert albrecht

If you were printing a replica prop.. What would you recommend for print material?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

For normal stuff or testing a model I use PLA, for strong stuff I use PolyCarbonate, for high-temperatures I use BluPrint (or Polycarb) for general good strength and decent heat deflection (better than most, not as good as PC) I use Alloy910... it really, REALLY just depends on the application. There is no one "killer" filament (but I loathe ABS and avoid it like the plague -- there are far better choices). I don't know how much strength you need in that application, but I bet Alloy910 would be a good compromise and if you used PC -- well, you would be fine :)

7. robert albrecht

I am making a replica hand cannon from the game Destiny 2

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Cool. I still have no idea how much strength you need with that (size and forces you expect are key there) or what temperatures you will be using it in :)

To max out both of those use PC. Honestly? I'd suspect it doesn't need to have the raw strength of PC -- maybe just some heat resistance so perhaps Alloy910

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#9 mark tomlinson, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    robert albrecht likes this.