1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Mosquito Hot End, is it any good?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Apr 16, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Hey, I know some of you may have gone to MRRF and seen the Mosquito hotend in person, just wondering what are your impressions.

Geof likes this.
  2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

I saw two different versions advertised. It looks good in the advertisements but is expensive compared to cheap hotends. It's more expensive than the top of the line E3D too.

I wonder if their thermistors & heating elements are worth the investment. I've been using cheap thermocouples & heating elements which uaually last a few months but only cost a few dollars a piece. They claim that their parts are heavy duty, and last longer but they cost over $30 a piece. Did anybody use them?

Nozzles are like this too. You could purchase nozzles for under a dollar a piece or spend $15 to $100 for better ones.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, brass nozzles are cheap but you replace them after so many print hours as they wear open.
    We went with hardened steel nozzles 2 years ago and I have not yet had to replace one.

4. BrooklynBay

I've been printing with ABS for the past few months, and I've noticed that the cheap brass nozzles clog before they wear out. I've used needles to unclog them but they never get completely unclogged. Do you use cheap steel nozzles or better quality ones with special coatings?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No special coating needed, just be sure to get hardened steel, not stainless. Stainless is somewhat better than brass, but hardened is the real win.

6. BrooklynBay

Is that A2 like what Micro Swiss makes? I saw an expensive tungsten nozzle on EBay, and the new E3D Nozzle X on Amazon which they claim is their top of the line nozzle with a lifetime warranty. Who knows if any of these nozzles are actually better than a cheap nozzle?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes and no.
    Yes the A2 is made form hardened steel, but then MicorSwiss adds their plating on it.
    A simple hardened steel nozzle is more than good enough -- no plating needed.

You can use that if you want, but I'd think the plating would wear before the nozzle.

Tungsten is too much for the difference

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member