1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Many Layers Print Poorly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Carlos144Green, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Carlos144Green

So right off the bat, I know that this is not a hotend problem because I have replaced just about every part possible on the hotend with new parts and it still prints the same. I suspect its the motor that pushes the filament into the hot end because it was making a small grinding noise a few days ago. Is this a common problem? All help is appreciated.

I'm using basic pla, the nozzle is new and same size, and I have not noticed the feeding gear having troubles with the common clipping problem.

fdfdgdfg.JPG IMAG0032.jpg

2. Gary Boyce

Gary Boyce Member

Looks like your hobbed gear needs tightening or cleaning or your filament has moisture in it. Could be the motor but I would expect that if the motor was the issue that you would see poor extrusion consistently.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Carlos144Green

The gear were already cleaned and tightened as much as they could be before that print. I haven't suspected the filament, I'll try with a new filament soon. Thanks!

4. Carlos144Green

Turns out the filament was not the problem. Any other ideas?

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

See the area circled in red?

IMAG0032.jpg

That behavior is the filament not feeding correctly.
    This could be bad filament (contaminated) that just looks that way, but let's rule that out (it is unusual).
    This is probably micro-clogging since it is PLA. There are a couple of approaches to sorting this, but they all focus on the nozzle or the print parameters.

If you are sure the temperature is hot enough then it is something else (and DO try an entirely different spool of filament as well to rule out anything with it).

You can season the hotend with vegetable oil and try to sort it that way (see this thread: http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...hotend-jam-clogs-seasoning-and-an-oiler.3564/) or you can clean or swap the nozzle. You could swap the entire hotend -- including the nozzle -- but that is harsh and the nozzles are ultimately a wear item so you need to learn to swap them.

Here is a video that discusses how to swap nozzles generically, the Robo is not really different. You should have gotten a wrench with the printer for the nozzle. Only trick is that it needs to be be loosened and tightened hot (once loose you can cool it down and remove it, you can install it cold, but it must be snugged into place while hot).

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A cold pull is another approach you can try, but honestly I prefer to season them and toss them when they get worn enough.

R2 specific instructions for nozzle replacement are here: https://support-site.readthedocs.io/en/master/R2/maintenance/

but really that is just how to replace the entire hotend, not the nozzle itself.. (poor instructions)

#6 mark tomlinson, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  7. Carlos144Green

So I started using a completely new brand of pla and it started working again. The thing is that the motor feeding the filament is still making noises. It's even louder now than before. In addition, the nozzle isn't the problem because I have already done more than enough tests on it to confirm that it's not the nozzle.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the noises could be anything. Back pressure is most common (making the stepper skip) but really could be assorted other issues too (weak stepper driver, bad main board, bad wire, etc)

9. Carlos144Green

I havent heard it skip yet so its narrowed down to these > (weak stepper driver, bad mainboard, bad wire, etc).
    I'll look into it once I start having troubles again thanks!

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the C2 the stepper driver is integrated so it effectively means bad mainboard -- hopefully it is wiring or a stepper if it does happen again.

Carlos144Green likes this.