1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How is everyone liking the R2

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Shane Simino, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

So it's been a long time since I've been on. I've tried many printers and some of the best rated printers have left me unimpressed. I shouldn't name names so I won't. lol. My R1's are still solid printers for the most part. There are things I like and dislike about them.
    So my question is that now the R2's have been in the wild for quite some time, how does everyone feel about them in terms of value, quality, print quality, printer reliability and durability? Out of all of my printers, I do prefer the vertically moving bed over horizontal. Thanks for any feedback.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Shane! Long time !

Oh name away! We dont mind :D. I've got a long list of frustrating more expensive machines lol.

All machines are like this :D Ya take the good with the ugly and hope the good is more :D

I do like my R2 series machines. ( I have two of them) Print quality is what you would expect, price is a big higher than I'd expect. Reliability- I've had good luck with both my machines- one had the pi go bad, the touch screen and the pi power cable. Easy cheap fixes- maybe 80 bucks total? The other is running just fine. Both still using the stock hexagon hotend, but the updated cooling fan shroud Robo posted to thingiverse. I did turn off autolevel and just manually level the bed as the autolevel pretty well still sucks :D

3. Shane Simino

Shane Simino Member

I was left unimpressed with both Ultimaker and Taz. They rate so highly, but so expensive.
    So with the R2, do you have to use the onboard slicing or do you have an option to run S3D code?

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dislike the taz series machines very much. They are quite expensive for what they are IMO. The ultimaker is quite expensive for what it is also- but (at least the one I have) has required very little maintenance which is a good thing.

I use Simplify 3D to slice for all my printers. For the R2 the gcode is either loaded through octoprint if I'm to lazy to walk to the machine, or with a USB drive if I'm not to lazy to walk to the machine :D

Shane Simino likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Had me at "too lazy" (and I always am)

Geof likes this.
  6. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I really dislike the taz machines as well. I know someone that has one (well it belongs to a school) and we both printed the same stl and the r2 print was lightyears better than what was produced from a WAY TOO EXPENSIVE taz machine. I would never own one of those.

I have the R2 and I have a prusa MK3 (using a palette 2 pro with it) and I have a Prusa MK3S (using the MMU2S with that). I still slice in Cura for the R2 when I use that printer. I use PrusaSlicer 2.0 for the MK3S or MK3 when doing a single color print). I use Canvas3d.io when slicing for a multi color print with the palette 2 pro.

I'm pretty sure robo is basically gone now so I don't think you can even buy one of the C2 or R2 models unless you buy a used one. I was super close to selling mine a few months back because I kept having a problem and robo support was gone and never responded to me. I got it going on my own.

Geof likes this.
  7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Kind of a leap of faith. I purchased a R2 from Amazon.com and have not had any regrets. Granted that I expect some problems. While 3D printers have advanced quite a bit from those earlier versions, they still are somewhat experimental and there is still a lot of room for improvement. Example: like a QR code or zipfile which gives all the properties of a filament to the slicing software so that the software can optimize the gcode for the print based on the information.

8. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

The R2 is up for sale on robo site. Wonder if this is false advertising lr what

9. albert3d

albert3d Member

Are they? I see them out of stock on everything.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, parts are only from https://partsbuilt.com and the E3 is the only printer they actually have for sale (unless something has changed very recently)

Geof likes this.
  11. bill Snyder

bill Snyder Member

ok. Clicked on buy it now and nothing went in the cart.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe all sales have moved to their my stem kits site and the Robo site is there just because

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, even this forum is carried on mostly "just because" :)

Not complaining, adds value.

tkoco and Geof like this.