1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

where can I get a replacement power plug

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Trevor C, May 23, 2018.

1. ryan g

ryan g New Member

Hey guys, I know this thread has been dead for a while but hoping someone can shed some light. I picked up a Meanwell PS GS220A24-R7B from Amazon and attempted to use it but it will not power on when plugged into the R2 (no PS light). Instead the PS just beeps when connected to the printer but as soon as I remove the 24V plug from the printer, the PS light illuminates and low beeping tone stops. It seems like a protection circuit is in place to prevent any damage. I contacted CS a short while ago and made them aware that have an original Kickstarter backed R2 to see if they could send me a new PS to replace that sad excuse of an original one with the fan. They directed me to purchase one from Partsbuilt 3D which is their official parts store now. On the Partsbuilt 3D site it states the Meanwell PS in question has been "modified" to suit an R2. It hasn't been in stock for quite some time. Does anyone know anything about this??

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Do you have a meter?
    Maybe the polarity of the output is reversed?

Worth a check -- if not you are right it is probably not enough current to support the printer.

Geof likes this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I’d guess the beeping is a safety warning as well. Likely wired wrong. I have a spare original loud as shit power supply you can have for the cost of shipping if it helps

4. ryan g

ryan g New Member

Thanks Mark and Geof! It turns out that the polarity is wrong with the Meanwell from the stock unit. Luckily the Meanwell does have some protection built in so I didn't fry the board. I pinned out both as the "wind turbine" is still working but as loud as ever. The Meanwell has 1&4 positive and 2&3 negative whereas the stock wind turbine has 1&2 positive and 3&4 negative. That was never mentioned anywhere and I narrowly escaped this mishap. Looking back I probably should have rung out the pins first :rolleyes:. Oh well, I'll crack the Meanwell open and rearrange the output.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If I had a dollar for every time I’ve done similar :)

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You would be buying the beer :)

Geof likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

that’s where the dollars I don’t have to too ;) :p

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. RoboticsRob

RoboticsRob Member

Hey Ryan any update on swapping the polarity around on the output from that meanwell supply? We need to get about a dozen power supplies and I found out the polarity on this one didn't match the input on the R2 as well, though thankfully before buying them.

Maybe someone has sourced an adapter?