1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

A few issues...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by DaveKerk, Oct 18, 2019.

1. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am having a handful of issues with my R2.
    So this all started after I didn't use the printer for a little while. A month or two. I came back and it wasn't booting up. I discovered that the SD card that was provided was no longer properly communicating with the machine. I swapped the microSD card and found new firmware somewhere on the forum at the time. I can't remember where. I had to to do this because the printer was a gift and I don't have the insane amount of verification needed to contact support.
    The printer worked for a while... quite well actually. Then... I decided to update the firmware...
    I did not record the EEPROM before updating the firmware, that's on me.
    The z-offset is now set at -20.00. No big deal, I'll just go into the handy calibration wizard and recalibrate it, easy lemon peazy... except it's not. The z-offset wizard will freeze on the first step "moving axis to min. position". And since I have to do this one before the fine tune, I can't tune my offset. I have tried manually changing the EEPROM on the printer but after a restart, it changes back to -20.00.

If I can't have the dual extruder upgrade... at least let me have a working printer.
    Help!! I don't even know where to go from here. I have redone the SD card to have a fresh image on it but it doesn't effect the EEPROM. The wizards aren't working and I just want to print again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would manually reset the Z offset to -10 or -15 and see if the wizard can pick up from there

I have different issues with the C2, so this must be more R2 specific. @Geof, or @WheresWaldo or perhaps @tkoco can chime in;

P.S. never -- ever -- update the Robo firmware on ANY printer without a specific KNOWN goal / reason.

3. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

I'll try -10 but when I set it to -2 it didn't work. It did let me try the fine tune but it just froze at the first step as well.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sounds more like the firmware is boogered then ... see my note above :) YOU never want to fiddle with the firmware on a working printer.

I do not have access to the previous version for the R2, but just to be clear you DO mean the firmware and NOT the RoboOS?

[someone has access to the current R2 firmware I bet -- let me see which version I do have]

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Looks like what I have is v1.1.8 of Marlin (for the R2) from 5/10/2017

There have not been any recent changes ( over a year now and none forthcoming)

6. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

I set it to -10 then tried
    I do mean firmware, that is what borked the thing after I redid the SD Card change. As far as I can tell anyway... the firmware I was flashing was 1.1.6 so here's hoping...

May I get that firmware from you?? I would greatly appreciate it.

7. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Or I might have 1.2.4.

Looks like Marlin 1.1.6 and RoboVersion 1.2.4

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not have anything later than 1.1.8, like I said one of the other folks might.

Most of what I have is C2 specific, but I have collected a few odd-and-ends :)

10. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

11. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Also another note... after setting the EEPROM to -10, I had to hard reset the machine and it reset to -20 again.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I'll let one of the R2 owners chime in.
    I tried to compile that thinking I could get a hex dump for you and I am not able to build it.
    Probably something mis-set.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I always just compile and load from source myself, but in this case I could not get a clean compile.
    I do not remember the provenance of that build so it may just be crap.

14. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Thank you for your help. I wish I could contact support and just get fresh direct from them. Both an SD image and the firmware.

I'll keep updating if I am able to progress with anything.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I doubt support is even still around. They ditched pretty much everything except for the E3.
    I'd be surprised if they even still answer the phone.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Tried reaching out to a couple of R2 guys, as well as the ones I linked a ping for here.
    Hopefully someone can get you some firmware.

17. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Yayyy.... I remembered reading something along the lines of that. haha first Robo then Lulzbot...

18. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the help. I feel like a rollback of the firmware will do the trick.

19. DaveKerk

DaveKerk New Member

Also I don't ever know if the firmware finishes. When I try updating it, it will often tell me to reset printer controls or that the bed isn't connected. Then when I restart the flash, if it doesn't prompt me the same way, it will just say something to the effect of "firmware flashing, features will be unavailable" then kicks me to the main screen. I don't ever see a message saying the update completed or what.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't say how it would/should behave if you load the firmware via the LCD as I have never done that.
    Invariably I have some additional customizations I am including so I always just upload it from source (not a HEX file).

Once you install the Arduino compiler on the Pi that is inside the machine it is easy to just open VNC on that desktop and then loading the firmware is just compile and upload. I don't use VNC on the machine often, just for things like that.