1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Small Detail Print Gaps Between lines

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by PaulusRich1997, Oct 21, 2019.

1. PaulusRich1997

PaulusRich1997 New Member

Hi There

I am trying to print this small frame structure and I am encountering the following problems:

Each member is between 0.8mm and 2mm wide. On members of 2mm and smaller running in the x direction(left to right) there are gaps between lines that are forming. In the Print Preview on Cura, there are only mean to be two lines printed next to each other. However when i print that file, there are gaps between these lines - gaps ranging from 0.4 mm to 2mm.

Please help!
    4c83ddf4-5d4d-4cc6-a9ee-43f565dd5290.jpg a566cf92-e9af-40a2-a079-bcbae8f13a2e.jpg

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey at a guess it’s a model issue. Possibly a slicer issue but I doubt it. If you created the model attach it here and someone can take a look at it to sanity check it. If it’s a slicer issue you can try rotating the model and it may help

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, this looks like a slicer falling down. Maybe you have things incorrectly set for the model and / or nozzle size you are using.

Geof likes this.
  4. PaulusRich1997

PaulusRich1997 New Member

Thank you for your response. I have attached the file if anyone is able to take a look for me. I have exported the fille to stl from revit. You will need to scale it as it came from revit. I am trying to print it at 2%. I agree it appears to be a slicer issue as i have tried a simple test file modeled in sketchup and encountered the same issue.
    I have also tried printing in a different orientation - however i face the same issue, but on only the members in the problem direction (left to right).

Thanks again for the response. This issue is still unresolved if you would be so kind as to check the file i have uploaded.

Attached Files:

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Working with a .stl is near impossible - can you attach a step file ? Something any cad program can open and please attach scale in x y and z otherwise we can’t duplicate exactly what you have

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Well, scaling is probably a huge chunk of your issue :) You are likely ending up with sections that have details scaled to be impossible to print. For example with a 0.4 nozzle you are (normally) going to be putting down a 0.4 mm wide layer of plastic, at whatever layer thickness you chose (bearing in mind that once you get outside the range of 30-70% of the nozzle diameter the layers can get sloppy).

Geof likes this.