1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Printer bed and Extruder crashing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Alvin Jacob, Oct 2, 2019.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Those settings IIRC, are saved in a file written by RoboLCD and not the Marlin firmware. I would place the blame there. But I cannot be 100% sure since I have never used the Fine-tuning wizard since looking at it a single time after taking my R2 out of the box.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Just dawned on me the fine tuning wizard is the cause - don’t use it. Set your offset and you can manually adjust via the touch screen. Utilities - eeprom- home offset *i think* are the steps. Then you can adjust the small amounts after getting the z offset close. If it’s still crashing remove the G36 from your start up codes and place a
    G28 ; home all axis
    G29 ; autolevel dance

If it still crashes remove the G29
    If it still crashes with just the G28 then you have an Issue with the IR. Dirty, bad, loose connection, bad build surface

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Also -6 may be to close and causing you grief. I want to say one of mine is a 12 and the other a 13ish number. If the it is programmed at a min of 7 and you set under that it won’t read and will crash. I can not recall the exact numbers, been to long since I’ve been through all this

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Referencing @WheresWaldo , if you wish to save the setting to the Marlin firmware, you should use the Octoprint plugin for editing the EEProm (firmware). You will need to change the Z offset entry and save it.

Think of things like this, you load a model into a slicer. The slicer software creates the G-code. You get it into Octoprint on the R2. The Marlin firmware receives the strings of G-code from Octoprint and translates the instructions into a print job. If the firmware has a wrong setting, then problems can occur.

Now the Fine Tune Z Offset wizard sends G-code instructions to Octoprint based on your interaction. And then the G-code processing proceeds as described above.

So you can manually set the Z Offset (G-code movement) commands sent to Octoprint and get a reasonable adjustment.

So what is left that can go wrong? Question for you: initially (very first distance movement), does the print bed crash into the hot-end? Or does it complete the 9 point measurements and then crashes when you attempt to print a line to check the shape of the filament printed (as shown in the instructions of the Fine Tune Z Offset wizard)?