1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Wi Fi fail to work after restored Robo C2 generic image

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Norman Yeung, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Norman Yeung

Norman Yeung New Member

I did an mistake by turning off the power switch instead of software shut down.
    The Robo C2 failed to boot up and displayed blank white screen. I believed the original SD is corrupted.
    So I down load a generic C2 image and write to a 8GB card.
    Then I inserted back the restored sd card to PI it boot up OK, but the Wi Fi connecting keep into a never ending loop. Before the original sd card failed, the printer found my Wi Fi network without problem.

Question:
    Do I need to input a password (my printer serial number => "my printer name") for the Robo c2 Wi Fi to work.
    If it is true how do I input it to Robo C2? Or may be my Pi card is damaged.
    Please advise

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It may also be that the image you used is corrupted.
    Someone should have an alternative image they can point you to.
    Not sure which one you actually used.

4. Norman Yeung

Norman Yeung New Member

Hello Mark,
    Really appreciated your quick response. I am hoping you could give me more advice if you don't mind.

May I explain what happened to my Robo C2 3D printer.

(1) Regarding the image file that I used is "GenericRoboC2.img" which I downloaded from a link in this forum.
    My serial number/machine name is in lower case "jumping-sunny" labeled on the back and next to the Rj45 socket of the printer.
    I renamed this image file from "GenericRoboC2.img" to "jumping-sunny.img" and used Win32DiskImager to write
    this image file to a 8 GB micro sd card successfully. Inserted it back to printer and boot up with no problem.
    All functions are working well, except the Wi-Fi connection is failed.
    May be I renamed the file improperly or restored with a corrupted image file ?

(2) Regarding to Wi Fi Connection failure:
    Trial #1
    Select Utilities ->network --> Configure Wi-Fi -> under this Select network screen, the message - Connecting... Keep showing forever.
    Luckily I can still exit from it.
    Also under Network status just showing Connection Status -> Wi-Fi IP:Wi-Fi Hostname Wi-Fi:

Trail #2
    Utilities _> network --> Start Wi-Fi Hotspot --> Start -->Message Hotspot failed --> press retry (no response and screen is frozen)
    unable to exit, I have to turn the power switch off manually. (Good thing is still re-bootable after 5 second power off).

If you, sir, or other gentlemen in here can point me to a perfect Robo C2 image file to download and/or
    educate me in how to rename the image file properly, I am very grateful.

Thank you in advance for you time and helps.

#4 Norman Yeung, Oct 24, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You are I think confused about how to rename your machine name in the image.
    You can't just rename the image file. That will not help.
    This post in the FAQ has the instructions (and further links to documentation) on how to rename the image so that it shows up on your network as the same machine name.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/faq-c2.19861/#post-134655

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If that doesn't help then you are going to need to get access to an alternative IMAGE file (since likely something is corrupted on that one if the instructions do not help/work).

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also using that C2 image you will need to go into the OctoPrint config and make sure you change the printer definitions to match the R2. Someone else may have an R2 image -- like this one: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_cJvRC01dTYTFF5V0wzWF9oMFU

You will still want to change the machine name with that one too :)

That was the first link in this google search:

"site: community.robo3d.com r2 sd card image"

8. Norman Yeung

Norman Yeung New Member

Hello Mark,

I will give it a try.
    Thanks to your well explained instruction in this forum and links.
    I have so much confidence in doing the restoring image file to SD card now. :)
    I also add an extension SD card adapter to my Robo C2 for easy future update of image file.

If this new R2 image file is not working I might suspect the hardware defect causes the Wi-Fi connection failure.
    I will let you know the outcome. This is a good learning process for me to learn from all of you experts in troubleshooting RoboC2.

Thanks again for your time and valuable helps.

Best regards,
    Norman

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an excellent idea and I have one installed on mine as well.