1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Recommendations and Knowlage

Discussion in 'Filament' started by Dragon, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Hey all. I would like some filament recommendations. I would like to experiment with something besides PLA (unless you have a cool color PLA) Also I've seen people having issues with certain filaments like the flexible type. So if you recommend a filament but had a learning curve please share what you've learned. I've experimented with flexible filament with my FlashForge Finder and had no issues. I'm just a hobbyist kind of printer and slowly making my own designs. Can't wait to hear your ideas.:D

Edit: Oh yeah, and where do you buy your filaments online?

#1 Dragon, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey there,
    Flexible filaments on the Robo series requires modifications to keep the filament path constrained or flexible will noodle out.

as far as materials besides pla I print most everything so you’ll need to be more specific with what you want out of filament.

I buy from amazon, printedsolid.com, zyltech etc. no one place. If your just looking to try new stuff the founder of printer solid runs a company called makerbox. It’s a monthly box with multiple samples of different filament. The easy one is just pla, the explorer is other stuff or a box of both.

hoping all that is helpful lol

Dragon likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon New Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I've combed through Amazon and found a few filaments that seemed cool.

I'm willing to try other filaments other than PLA. I've seen the list of filament that the R2 can print with that pique my interest. I'm going to check out the sites you shared. I might even sign up for that monthly box also that sounds fun:D

I have my eyes on https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJ2RHKF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_nT1YDb0K0ZYZ3
    just wondering if anyone has success with any "silk" filaments?

Edit: Dumb question, what kind of "modifications" are required to print flexible? If I tried to print without said modifications could I cause damage to the printer? Or is it going to fail/waste filament?

#3 Dragon, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That’s just shiny pla, should run fine. Silk is referring to the color.

A tube to guide the filament mostly, I think there are a few threads on it. No I don’t think you’ll damage anything but may be a pain to get the jam out. Might try a semi flex or something like colorfabbs gen flex and avoid floppy ones like ninjaflex

5. Dragon

Dragon New Member

I did just buy the filament guide tube I thought it was standard (not sure if this will get me in trouble but I acquired my printer second-hand) I've been refurbishing the printer the day I got it=p

I might try a testcube with the tpu filament. I've already had a clogged issue so I feel a bit more comfortable dealing with that.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

These jams will be around the extruder gear. As it’s trying to feed if there is an open path the filament will pop out. It is a fun material but the stiffer the flexible the better without modification :). Ninja flex is like a rubber band- floppy and stretchy. Something more stiff will be easier

7. Dragon

Dragon New Member

I didn't have an issue with the filament popping out. The raft printed fine but after that it got...weird? the printed filament started to bead up and collect on the nozzle of the extruder. I'm playing with settings in Cura. Trying to find the "right" TPU settings and or make my own. I find it strange that there are all these "recommendations" for TPU when I had great success with standard settings on a "lower quality" printer. But it's fun testing things out:p

What slicing program do you use?

#7 Dragon, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Simplify 3D

9. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I use Cura. TPU is different than PLA, so don't expect your prints to come out like PLA. Tips for TPU printing:

1) Create a new Material profile just for TPU
    2) Create a new Quality profile just for TPU. I recommend modifying the Robo Low quality and then save the profile using a new name.
    3) Run the Material temperature higher than the stated filament temperature range.
    4) TPU density is higher than PLA. Try setting the density to 1.3 instead of the default density
    5) No retraction. Disable it.
    6) Slow the printing speed to 1/2 to 1/3 of the default speed. The downside will be longer print times.

Additional items to consider:

I recommend this Mod for your printer. It reduces the drag on the filament as the Extruder pulls filament. Helps prevent stretching of the filament.
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...eel-support-mod-for-c2-and-r2-printers.23519/

Edit the GCODE scripts in Octoprint, specifically the "Before print job starts" script. Add lines to set the temperature of the initial printing specifically for TPU. I can post a copy of my Octoprint script if necessary. Before using TPU, you would log into Octoprint, uncomment the TPU lines and comment out the PLA lines. Then you would save the script. A bit of work, but saves you from ruining a print by presetting the R2 printer just for TPU filament.

UPDATE:

You can get Cura profiles for two different manufacturers of TPU filament. The finished projects have been posted to this forum.