1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.9 Release for Robo R1+

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Bradf80, Sep 12, 2018.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Here!

I didn't look at it just recompressed it as a RAR file after stripping the examples sub-directory.

Attached Files:

Bradf80 and mark tomlinson like this.
  2. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Well.... I installed 1.1.9 and after the extruder reaches temperature, the z axis does a little up and down jig that ends with a ZZIIPP!! sound that I think is coming from the right hand z stepper motor. Not a normal sound mind you, a SHE'S GONNA BLOW! type of sound. I wonder if the acceleration is off. It lastes about a half a second, but it is a long half a second, what with the waiting for something to strip and all. I also don't think the z height was working, but I think I may have been adjusting the z height and not the z adjustment for laying down the first layer. D'OH! Anyway, back to 1.1.1 mesh for me. :-\

Clarification: could not adjust the z height on the fly. The z did reflect the correct height at the beginning of a print, but no z adjustment on the fly during the first layer. Again, I think I may have been adjusting the wrong z. But it was the ZZIIPP! that made me revert.

#62 3dfun4me, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  3. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

Only thing I did was enable dual z in the firmware. It should share the steps for the z. I'm not having that issue with my test machine. After the bed level check it does pick up fast. I'll see if I can find where that acceleration setting is for the bed level check.

I'll see if there's an updated bugfix version . I'm not a Marlin programmer. Just got the firmware set for the Robo R1+

Or maybe I should be using the 1.1.9 non bug fix release?

Anyone have a suggestion?

4. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

The ZIP! could have just been acceleration, it startled me with the sound however. The horizontal crossbars never went out of alignment so I don't think the right z stepper was seizing, but it made such a noise that I threw in the towel because I had an eight hour print to get started. It probably was after the bed level check so that could be it. It was a zzippy/strippy sound, I'm not at all convinced it was good for the machine. :-/

5. Crusted

Crusted New Member

I have the same issue when trying to use Cura controls to raise the Z or manually inputting Gcode to raise the Z through Cura. While using the controls in Octoprint I do not have that issue. Also I removed the retraction and Z lift out of Cura start/end code and put the start/endcode into Octoprint only. I've been using the 1.1.9 bugfix for a couple of weeks now, coming from marlin 1.0.

I would like to thank everyone that put time into this, posting info and links and getting it to work. My R1+ is born again!

#65 Crusted, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner!

I gave up on Cura because of the horizontal rails going out of adjustment, and I went to Slic3r and my problems stopped. I added a pause with a height command so that I can wipe my extruder before I start to print and that is where my zzippy/strippy sound comes in at. Marlin 1.1.1 is fine with this gcode, but 1.1.9 is not.

I think I am going to wait a while before I upgrade anymore, the leading edge has bit me too many times.

7. Crusted

Crusted New Member

It's not 1.1.9 its Cura.

Cura has always been a bit wonky in one way or another with R1's for some reason. Every version has had a different issue. But for what the software does it is worth dealing with for me until I feel like buying S3D... and or another printer

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Crusted Try Slic3r PE addition, I have been using the current version for a few weeks now and I like how it behaves and I am a Simplify3D owner/user too.

@Bradf80 Have you looked at Marlin Bugfix 2.0.x I can get it to compile for standard RAMPS/Arduino but the additions made by Robo for the R2/C2 are giving me fits. Maybe you can get it going for the R1 family.

Bradf80 and Crusted like this.
  9. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

My last message kind of made it sound like I was putting down Marlin and that is absolutely not what I was trying to say. You all have been a great help (especially BradF80) and my robo r1+ is rock solid with an older version of Marlin and I will leave it that way for a while. Using Slic3r PE with Marlin gives me the best fill/finish on outside walls and edges, and Slic3r has _a lot_ of settings to help you get good prints, both large and small. I even have an lcd, (you gotta get one) that was super easy to install and was supported right in the Marlin configuration files.

My particular problem is the custom g code so that I can wipe the nozzle, I would say that less is better in this situation for the sake of compatibility.

Thanks for your help everybody.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I haven't looked into it but I can surely give it a shot. I wasn't sure if the R1+ was compatible with the new 2.0.x so I was waiting to get confirmation.

I have a test machine for this stuff so I will look into it over the next few days and see if I can get a working version of it going.

11. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I've got a preliminary 2.0.x bugfix compiled with the Robo R1+ parameters. I will start a new thread as soon as I have it tested and working. My test machine is 4 hours in on a 7 hour print so it will be later this evening or tomorrow when I get around to it.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. 3dfun4me

3dfun4me New Member

Will Marlin 2.0 work with the stock r1+ Android circuit board?

13. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes.
    Get the configuration.h done correctly and it would be fine.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

15. Bradf80

Bradf80 New Member

I posted a new thread with the Marlin 2.0.x bugfix release for anyone interested.

mark tomlinson and WheresWaldo like this.
  16. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

OK, I've updated to this on my R1. MY x and Y axis home just fine, however the Z axis(always the Z is'n't it?) motors just buzz. The previous firmware they were just fine. I'm guessing I've got something mis-configured. Yes, my Z axis is on a single driver, so this is odd. The only reason I decided to update is my extrusion rate was off a bit and I added an lcd.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just try tweaking the Z Axis driver potentiometer, there are sever good videos on how to do it linked here and also on YouTube (where most came from).

18. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

That's not the problem. I discovered it's the z steps are too high for this version. In my old version micro-stepping is enabled and to compensate for the micro-stepping the steps needed to be much higher, this caused the controller to send steps faster than what the motors could deal with. How Marlin handles micro-stepping now I don't know.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Depending on your version of Z rods, then there were three different steps for Z axis, I don't remember them off the top of my head, but they are listed here many times. If that did solve you issue than I am glad you found the answer.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Marlin only deals with steps* there are ways to define this on the fly rather than in the firmware via upload -- the RAMPS board is what handles micro-stepping hardware if it is configured (and by default the stock configuration IS with microstepping enabled -- all three jumpers on RAMPS with jumpers installed).

*http://marlinfw.org/docs/gcode/M350.html

Here is the picture. Stock uses A4988 drivers and 1/16th microsteps:

MicroStepping_Modes_tbl.png