1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Can’t change filament

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by BronStoppable, Nov 13, 2019.

1. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Hey, so whenever i click change filament mid print, everything seems to work fine until i restart it. Once it slides to go back and printing it’s usually offset and starts printing about half a inch from the actual print. I assume it could be my plate size setting but it’s fine on everything else minus changing filament. Any idea?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

The most coming thing is the motor isn’t locked and you move the head while changing filament causing the shift.

3. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

I don’t think it’s that, it stays in position once it reaches the stopper.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Are you sure :) that’s really the only cause I can think of unless a belt or pulley is loose. Try doing a filament change without actually touching the machine (just do the change and resume on your controller. Still offset ?

5. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Yea I have the quick change add on so it just pops out, switches and then goes back. How would i do that? It releases the filament once it stops moving

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Don’t know what this quick change add on is ? Doesn’t matter if there is filament or not, if the head goes back where it should without touching the carriage then you know the issue

7. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

Just tried, even without filament it didn’t line back up after continuing the print

8. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

It makes a clicking stepper noise as it moves to the left before it hits the tab which is why i thought it was the plate size. Like it expects there to be more room

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Clicking noise? Can you take a video ? The machine doesn’t know anything besides that home switch is zero, so it must be skipping steps. Make sure the belt is tight, the pulleys set screws are tight etc

10. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

as you can see once it clip, it slides then makes a noise, stops but once it starts again it’s no longer in line with the original print.

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Uhm.... ok... is that a piece of filament/tube hot glued to the carriage to engage the home switch???? Lol I can’t hear any audio on the video so am missing hearing the noise but that jumps out to me as problem causing

12. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

sorry my mic was off lol and it’s actually a qtip to replace the screw that engages the home switch as it broke off the carriage by the previous owner but it’s measured to the same specifications and I had this issue before that lol on this one the print restarted about a half a inch behind where it picked up so it was offset agaib

#12 BronStoppable, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it’s driving against the end stop as though it’s not hitting it. One more video but follow your q tip upgrade on the Move to the home switch lol

14. BronStoppable

BronStoppable Member

15. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hard to tell but it doesn’t look like your hitting your x endstop so your not traveling far enough and are therefore off that amount when it resumes. Make sure nothing is catching - like the wiring