1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D V6 - Z and Y axis issues!

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Nicole Dubois, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hello,

I have, among other printers, two printers Robo R1 (not R1 +). I got these printers in 2015.
    Being frustrated with the Robo nozzle I have installed the e3dv6 nozzle on one of the printers. I would do the other eventually. The nozzle works well but I still have two problems:

1- Y-axis: the leveling is done well, but the belt goes too far back, which makes a sound like grinding. Afterwards, before starting the printing, the belt quickly returns to the front to go too far, which makes another noise like grinding.

2- The Z axis: the printing starts well, but after a few layers, it seems that the layers become more and more distant.

A) The physical installation of the extruder has gone reasonably well. My biggest challenge was finding the right electrical diagram! I followed these instructions: http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/e3d-v6-information-and-installation-guide.17598/. I also watched watch the video of the novice Expert: and a few more.

B) I tried several Firmware and the one on the Robo site seem to be the only one that works, but for 2 issues (see lower) : https://help.robo3d.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000723672-Robo-R1-original-firmware: ROBO3DR1V3_06112015.ino.

C) I made the few changes that are required:

Search for this line in the appropriate version of firmware for your specific printer (located in the file named configuration.h):
    Code:
    #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 290 // robo

and change it to this:
    Code:
    #define HEATER_0_MAXTEMP 320 // robo

Sensor Type: 5 (for semitec thermistor)

Look for this line in the appropriate version of the firmware for your specific printer (located in the file named configuration.h):
    Code:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 1 // robo

and change it to this:
    Code:
    #define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5 // robo

Whether I make these changes or not, I still have the same problems.

D) For Arduino I can not use version 1.8 ... I have to use an older version, this because the version does not seem to support the firmware file. I receive several errors.

E) For the previous error messages I tried to change the "fpos_t" such as several posts in the forum.

In conclusion make ou not the changes in the firmware, I still have my two issues one in the Y axis and one in the Z axis.

I have been at these on and off for a month now. Getting frustrated!

Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thank you

Fajovi likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

1. Your firmware has incorrect numbers for the bed size, it needs to match the actual movement available. You can edit the firmware itself then reflash (there are instructions here and on YouTube)
    2. If the spacing is wrong on the Z axis or it incrementally grows then likely you may have a printer that has the incorrect number of steps for the Z axis. That can happen because there was a fundamental change in hardware during the life of the R1 (not related to the R1+Plus). Original R1's had a 5/16" threaded rods, later changed to a 8 mm threaded rod.
    3. There are better firmwares than the 'Official" Robo version. All Robo firmware versions are based on version 1.0 of Marlin regardless of their nonsensical version numbers. There are community version from Marlin 1.1.6 all the way through 1.1.9 that have been modified specifically for the R1 on this board, try one of those instead.

Fajovi and Geof like this.
  3. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi again,

I have tried 1.1.9 on the marlin web site. But my prints are bad. I can't seem to find 1.1.6 to 1.1.7?

Thank you

Fajovi likes this.
  4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Nicole, I specifically said here, not the Marlin website. Versions posted here are pre-configured for Robo printers.

Geof likes this.
  5. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi,

I first tried the 1.1.9 of the Novice expert. Since it didn't work for everything I tried the firmware on the Marlin site.

The 1.1.9 firmware fron the Novice expert works but not for every components.

I have done some research on the web, but there are so many firmware versions! I do not know where to start!

Thank you

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There are other versions here, not just the one from Novice Expert, that was my point. Marlin is like buying a ruled book of blank pages. You can open it up but there is no story, when you write things in it, it become valuable. There are too many variables to guide someone through every part of Marlin that would not work on an R1 series 3D printer. Please consider one of those versions before trying to make generic Marlin work.

There are two versions by @Bradf80 here in this forum marked as Community Favorites.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Saves some effort if you use one already configured. Then at most you have some minor tweaks to suit your specific needs,.

8. Nicole Dubois

Nicole Dubois New Member

Hi, I had time to test other firmware:
    Marlin-bugfix-2.0.x-R1-UBL.rar

For the y axis no more bumping and grinding. But I still have trouble with the Z axis. It seems not to lift properly son my prints are squished!

In this firmware the steps per unit for the Z axis is 800:

upload_2019-11-28_7-54-38.png

I have read that there is a difference between the R1 and R1+plus. Do I need the change the steps per unit to 2560?

Thank you

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

10. closen19

closen19 New Member

while I was installing such a head I managed to break something there and now nothing works for me forum.uipath.com/

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member