1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Z Access not smooth. Replaced bearing but same issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by mamejay, Nov 2, 2019.

1. mamejay

mamejay Member

Hey everyone,
    My Z carriage is playing up and getting stuck during G28 and causing the Z switches to engage and think the nozzle had touched the bed.
    I replaced the bearings in both right and left of the unit but same issue.
    If I only have one side of the z carriage in its smooth as on both sides so its not the bearings.
    I cannot see anything bend on the smooth Z rods.
    Is there a way to adjust these? They look to be held in by a plastic bracket at the bottom of the rod with 4 screws.

Any advise on this one?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You certain you have the x axis in place correctly. It’s very easy to not get them fully in and cause binding in the z. Also clean and lubricate your z rods and lead screws. A video may help

3. mamejay

mamejay Member

I have everything in as tight as it can go. One thing I found is that when I cut the cable tie for the belt the carriage could flow up and down fine. I experimented with a new cable tie and managed to get the belt on semi tight without causing the issue. Still not 100% happy but not sure what to do. Seems to be working,
    I am on my last legs with this printer. I hate the way you cannot easily level the bed and the auto bed leveling is garbage.
    It has been a good experience over the years but after buying a cheap ass Ender 3 a month ago, I know now how 3D printing should be. Had it setup in a day and printing like a champ. Might clean up my R1 and flog it off.

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds to me that the x rods are not seated in the end brackets or the end brackets might be cracked ( can print new ones) so when you tighten the belt everything binds up. I’d give it a good look over.

As far as a printer released in 2014 and one in 2019- yea it’s not surprising there is a difference in use- like a car from 2014 will have problems that a new car won’t :)

mad far as bed level there are free software upgrades on the forum that deal with that by @WheresWaldo. All my R1 printers use his modified firmware so auto level is done once and store to memory and that’s it ;)

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This. Bit me once too. Check the brackets where they mount to the bed frame