1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Vase Mode Leaving Voids in Sliced Models

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by adikted2astro, Dec 10, 2019.

1. adikted2astro

adikted2astro Active Member

So I have been trying to print some vases (in vase mode of course). I'm using Simplify3D. However, every single model I upload and slice is deformed. This only happens when I try to use vase mode. The picture will explain the voids I'm seeing. I would say it was the models themselves, but I've checked them and cannot find anything wrong. Not to mention the fact that every one of them has these voids, or errors, or whatever you want to call them. I've tried varying the extrusion width, changing the slicing behavior, even print speeds; nothing works. I have actually uploaded and sliced this STL file in Cura and it slices perfectly. BUT I HATE CURA and do not want to have to change slicers for one print. I'm hoping someone here has seen this and might know a way to counter it. Any help would be much appreciated.

NOTE: the problem is in the bottom part of the model (wvpic) and is not consistent. Each model has it's own unique deformities; sometime on the bottom, sometimes on the last 20 layers, etc. I've also tried opening as a solid body in solidworks, then resaving the STL (this only worked once), and using meshmixer to remesh the part, reduce it, changing different values each time and resaving the STL. I've tried varying layer heights as well..........I've been at it all day and cannot get it to work properly.

I tried uploading the STL and factory files, but I'm not sure they uploaded correctly.

wvpic.jpg
    wvase_pic.PNG

Yeah I can't upload the STL or factory file for some reason. But you can get the model at https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3582798

#1 adikted2astro, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Did you read the notes for the original vase model. Perhaps you are using a layer height which is too thin. The original model specified a layer height of 0.2 mm. Just a thought.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I would increase the flow, you are probably underextruding a bit. It is listed as Extrusion Multiplier and is on a scale where 1.0 = 100%

Geof likes this.
  4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

PM me a zipped factory file. When I download and slice that I do not see the defects in the preview like you do so something is different. Even zoomed in and spinning it 360 I do not see the defect you see. I suspect either your settings are different enough that I don't reproduce it or the version of Simplify3D is different. I tried C2/R2 printer definitions (but that really doesn't -- or shouldn't -- matter too much).

VaseMode.jpg

#4 mark tomlinson, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Geof likes this.
  5. adikted2astro

Yeah I tried varying layer height to 0.2mm and I'm getting the same result.

6. adikted2astro

Tried that and didn't work.

7. adikted2astro

I'm updating my version of S3D now. I thought I had the latest version. I'll see if this solves the problem or not. If not, I'll send you the factory file. What I truly don't understand is that it happens with all of the vase models I slice, every one of them so far.

8. adikted2astro

Well, don't I feel stupid......I just updated my version of S3D about a month ago, so I thought I was good. After updating to the newest version, I am not seeing the defects at all. I will see if it works on all the other models that have shown defects, but so far it looks good. Damn that was an easy fix........................:eek:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. adikted2astro

Well it worked for some of the vases, but not all. However, for one of the vases, I did have to re-scale it because at 100%, it is 246 mm tall. After modifications to my printer, my current max z-axis is 230mm. So that may have something to do with it.

For some reason, I cannot upload the compressed folder at all. I've tried different levels of compression with no luck. The maximum folder size is only 6.7 MB, so I have no idea why it won't upload, given the maximum for uploading is 512MB. I am using 7-zip to do it, do you guys recommend a different program (a free program)? I'm not familiar with these programs at all because I've never had the need to compress a file (or folder) before now.

Just tried it with Bandizip and still got the same result. It's probably the settings I'm using, but there aren't many choices. I am using maximum compression for all.

#9 adikted2astro, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If it get large enough I just 7Zip it and stick in on GoogleDrive or OneDrive or whatever then share that link :)
    I can't keep fighting the forum software

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Scaling inside the slicer with vase-mode selected is ... somewhat a crap-shoot (in my humble opinion).
    You would be better served scaling it in something else in a CAD program OR using perhaps MeshMixer to do that

I have not had too many issues with simple scaling in non-vase-mode slices, but vase-mode seems to add an extra kick towards failure :)

tkoco likes this.
  12. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Or even a graphics program like Wings3D One caveat, wings3d does not like importing binary STL files. Use either a ascii STL file or some other file format like *.obj

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes indeed. It is because the slicers have started trying to be the one program you use for printing that they get demanding.
    S3D needs almost as much video driver support as a CAD program (or a high-end PC Game) simply to do the rendering of the 3D models in the UI :)