1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Heater is not found error

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Paul1967, Dec 26, 2019.

1. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

My last print was good a few weeks ago, I shut everything down and came back to the printer tonight. When I turned it on, everything thing seemed ok, then when I went to load filament I get an error that says Heater is not found.

Then in a smaller box underneath the above error it says "The selected heater can not be found". Now anything I do I get this error.

I manually raised the heat bed and checked my wiring, I checked all my connections, I reset the controls and rebooting the system. I get the first screen like all is ok, I go to the motor controls to lower the bed, and that error pops up again and will not let me do anything.

I don't get it..all was well, I just turned it off and left it alone for a few weeks and now this?

Your wisdom is greatly appreciated guys

paul

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Paul, what bed do you have, is it the last revision with the cable that plugs directly into the bed or the version where it plugs into a board with spring pins (pogo pins)? If it is the pogo pin style, make sure all the pins actually spring otherwise you will get a lpoor connection that is subject to failure. If it is either, make sure there is no corrosion or burnt pins on the connector on the cable or the socket it plugs into.

3. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

I have the v2 bed

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Raise the bed. Pop the cover off of the bottom to expose the electronics. With the printer properly powered down, check the connections of the main controller board to make sure the connections are seated well.

Next, read this thread of messages and see if your main board might be suffering the same sort of problem, http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/fix-for-r2-connection-interrupted-error.23698/

Next, remove the print bed and inspect the connection as well as the cable end which plugs into the bed. You should see shiny pin connections. If they look burned, try cleaning them with alcohol and a toothbrush.

Some possibilities - heating element in print bed may have open circuited, the thermistor which senses the proper temperature might be mechanically loose or defective, the firmware might be defective and require a reload, the RoboOS mat have developed a problem and is telling the main board the wrong information, the SDcard may have developed a problem which impacts on the software.

Something to try - Printer -> Motor Control -> Home and see if the extruder assembly parks itself properly ( rear & left ) and the print bed lowers itself properly.

5. Paul1967

Paul1967 Member

Well, After changing out all the cabling, checking all connections and no changes, I decided to reimage the sd card and so far things are working.. still updating items etc. I did try to upgrade the pip and this was the results. Can anyone tell me what this problem is?

Attached Files:

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sadly you can't piecemeal update "RoboOS" in some cases because it is locked onto certain versions of some components (OctoPi, Perl libraries, and some others...) if you update those then the OctoPrint plugins (like the LCD menu) may fail to work correctly. The appropriate path was to apply a new version of RoboOS*

It is a poor state to be left in with it, but if it IS WORKING, DO NO UPDATE ANYTHING.

There is the Community version of the RoboOS that was started, I am unsure what state it was left in. I was intending to port the LCD menu over to it as well, but there was a lack of interest (and a lack of time for me to work on things that were not needed).

The good news is that if you are not locked into the Robo LCD menu there are a lot of open-source versions of all of the software that are better. You can also attempt to piece together a working version as long as you are OK with the changes in the LCD menu... which depends on some out-of-date versions of other components (and Robo is no longer maintaining the OS code)

*which is really just a version of Raspbian (and an out-of-date one at this point) that had specific other software installed for the printer.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is correct. The various software parts of RoboOS are intertwined. You can try an upgrade, but you might break other software. I recommend that you make an image of the working RoboOS before you attempt any such upgrades.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I can tell you from experience that you cannot upgrade OctoPrint because it breaks the screen menus as they were written as an OctoPrint plugin.

I can also tell you that you cannot upgrade Kivy as it breaks the RoboLCD plugin also

I will also mention that you cannot upgrade Raspbian as it just breaks everything

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, more or less what I saw. The Community OS might be a better option or just roll-your-own with OctoPi and something for a menu as an OctoPrint plugin. I experimented with a couple of generic ones and while most were not great -- they were functional

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I stopped working on CommunityOS since newer versions of Linux seem to have issues building the base image. So it is stuck at stretch, but is usable. so you can go to my GITHUB page and download it if you want to try it. It comes with a menu system that is workable. https://github.com/WheresWaldo/CommunityOS/releases

Once installed there should be no reason you can't upgrade parts like OctoPrint or system files in Raspbian.

One thing to note, all modern browsers kinda choke on using http://comunityos.local. Quite a while ago they stopped accepting self-signed certificates and even longer ago certificate authorities stop issuing certs for .local domains. This will result in browsers like chrome telling you the first time you try to go to the interface that it may not be safe, but you can ignore the warning and you will be at the OctoPrint web interface.

mark tomlinson likes this.