1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Heat sink mounting issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by momoe, Dec 26, 2019.

1. momoe

momoe Member

Hi all. Need help. I dusted off the old printer (robo 3D R1)and am reassembling it after some time. I had to replace the whole hot end from the carriage down. I have the volcano hot end as I had before but I can’t get it to mate to the carriage now. It’s like the heat sink won’t go in far enough for the screws to hold it. See images below. Am I missing a part or something? Is my heat sink the wrong one? Can someone post up a pic of their heat sink and how it attaches? Looking for a frame of reference of how deep it goes

thanks

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Are you sure this is an R1? Or is it an R1+?
    The Beta, R1, R1+ all look much the same.

Is this an E3D volcano (a real one)?

On the Beta and R1 (but not the R1+) the screws are out completely and the heat sink top goes as far up into the plate as you can and then the screws get put back in and they actually thread INTO the top of the E3D -- they bite into the aluminum a bit as they thread in and that holds everything in place. It is not easy to screw them back int he first time as it needs to thread into the aluminum a small amount. This is what holds the hotend in place and keeps it from moving around.

The R1+ uses a completely different mounting mechanism with a removable plate that holds the hotend in place and there is no threading of the screws into the hotend.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

That looks like a R1, those screws that protrude into the space, they are M3 by the way, need to come out completely, then the hot end goes in and the screws are replaced. The actual retention method are those two M3 screws, they slightly bite into the aluminum heat sink of the hot end and then thread into the opposite side of the opening to secure.

4. momoe

momoe Member

It’s an original R1 that I updated the screw arms when I broke the hotbed. This thing is old. When I talked with Robo, they said it was the R1+ upgrade. Anyway, I thought this was the real volcano heat sink from E3D but maybe it wasn’t. I showed the screws in place without the heat sink in place for reference but yes. They would thread into and hold the original part in place. This heat sink will not go in deep enough for that to happen which is why I was asking. I guess I need to order yet another one from E3D.
    Thanks for clearing up my issue. I’ll mark the thread after I get the new part and it works again

5. momoe

momoe Member

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That should work, I would be surprised if a genuine E3D (with or without the volcano) doesn't "just work" since I have 3 different ones (2 betas and an R1+) all using E3D hotends and one of the betas is using the volcano adapter.

Give that heatsink a try.

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Don't forget that an original E3D does not have anything that protrudes out beyond the top of the heatsink, if this has a coupling that could be why it doesn't fit.

8. momoe

momoe Member

Yeah. That was a Biden adapter I removed and tried again but I think this was an amazon special I ordered. I went to matterhackers and got the real deal coming now

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good move. The clones often come with a bowden collet embedded (it is an optional part you can add or remove from the real E3D)

10. momoe

momoe Member

Ok. I don’t get it. I got the heat sink from matter hackers. It does the same thing. The screws that cross through the extruded to hold it in place don’t grab the heat sink. Can someone post up pics of how theirs fit? Here is what I have. Is there a chance the screws are too small to grab? Is there an adapter I’m missing?

Attached Files:

11. momoe

momoe Member

It’s been so long I don’t remember what I’ve replaced on this or not. If I replaces the part that connects to the heat sink, could it be wrong? Is it suppose to have that raised part in the middle? Seems like if that was flush, the screws would fit under the top lip of the heat sink and hold in place

Attached Files:

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not recall seeing that before, but I have not had my R1 torn down that far in a while.
    In looking at your heatsink versus the E3D -- they look the same.

Are you sure this was an R1 and not an R1+? The + had a completely different hotend mounting assembly and it used a quick-release plate that sits between the hotend and the extruder plate. I will see if I can take a look tomorrow at one of my R1 and the R1+ ... just don't have time to down them today.

13. momoe

momoe Member

It’s the R1. I got this the year they released them. I think I got a new part that holds the motor and extruded and I think they sent me the R1+ piece hence why it won’t work. I guess it’s time to dremel that piece out and see if I can “makerfit”

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is entirely possible.
    Robo was extremely inconsistent with parts sourcing :)

15. momoe

momoe Member

A little dremel action and now we are good to go

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If you read the e3d install thread you’ll see where it mentions that needs drilled out if I recall right
    Revisit that thread as you’ll for sure have to drill out for the ptfe tube

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, it is about (don't quote me) 1 mm too small, maybe a bit less.

Geof likes this.