1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Palette 2/Palette 2 Pro

Discussion in 'Projects' started by AlienBeans, Aug 25, 2018.

1. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I found the thread. I am a computer technician so I should be able to handle it. Hoping I'll hear from robo about it tomorrow. I don't expect them to replace it at this point. If they don't, I'll grab that screen from amazon and give it a go. Can't be any worse or more difficult than a laptop disassembly/reassembly.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, it is certainly easier than most laptops :)
    Just pay attention and it is not too hideous.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope not hard, just a pain. Mind the screws, some are longer than others, don’t mix up where they go. You should be fine.

4. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Turns out there was a small particle between the screen and the frame that was causing the screen jump. Little swipe on all 4 sides of the screen with a business card appears to have solved the problem. I really didn't want to have to replace the screen.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Happens alot more than one would think, and almost always "non visable" lol. Glad you got it working.

6. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

So, update with the palette and Robo printers. One of the top people at Mosaic commented on a thread that TransBat and I are both participating in on their forum and he said the partner integration was intended to mean for future robo3d releases. What? Robo sold the palette+ on their site, but a newer palette doesn't work as advertised with a printer that's been on the market now for well over a year? Sorry I just don't buy this explantion. I think its a whole lot of major backpeddling after getting word from users (since they didn't test it themselves) that the unit doesn't connect properly.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, for it to realistically be something tested and "certified" I can imagine the New Palette would qualify unless they had been working with Robo from the get-go. Product certification requires a lot of testing and working with the hardware and I rather doubt Robo had access to early versions of the new Palette

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably more of a "this ought to work, let's market it" type of thing ;)

Geof likes this.
  9. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Jonny Yeu from Mosaic just provided this update about 10 minutes ago:

Hi everyone, I just wanted to provide you with an update on the situation. We've been able to completed a connected print on our Robo printer by making changes to our CANVAS Hub and Palette plugins. The Palette plugin will be updated later this week/early next week to V1.2.2 and will work with Robo printers. The CANVAS Hub plugin will require the user to make manual changes in the terminal command in order to have it communicate properly with the printer. We're currently waiting to hear from Robo as many of these changes can be bypassed if they are able to update the OctoPrint interface that they are currently using.

Based on this information, we should have a solution in the next week or two for Robo users. I'll prepare a support document that will contain information on the adjustments that need to be made and will share this with you and other Robo users once available.

We appreciate your patience and understanding with this situation.

10. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

Jonny Yeu just did an update a few minutes ago. It appears they have updated the plugins for robo's octoprint and provided a little tutorial on end user changes to get the canvas and palette plugins to work.

Hey everyone, I wanted to share that we're just released update for the CANVAS and Palette plugins, and have also provided instructions on how to make adjustments so that they work with Robo printers: http://mm3d.co/robo-plugin

Please let me know if you have any questions.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, sweet :)
    Let us know what you see.

Geof likes this.
  12. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

Ok so I decided to get me one thinking "how hard could this be"... man is this frustrating... I got the same thing going on with it grinding the build plate. I did the same thing with the z offset.. should have done a little more research. Anyways I'm having a problem with canvas where my print preview is putting the print below the surface... any help? Maybe my printer profile settings are wrong? Here's what it's doing and if you have any suggestions or maybe giving me a screenshot of your settings to see if mine are wrong?

13. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

Nvm I can even upload the photo? Idk what I'm doing anymore. Please help

14. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

I'm so dumb apparently... I restarted everything and now it's fine? I guess "have u tried turning it off and back on" fixes everything

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have enough posts to allow you to post a photo... it may be too large. Use paint or some other conversion program to edit the size of the photo so that the forum will allow it. I always just resize pictures for the forum to 1024x768 -- it is happy with that. Not sure what the largest it will accept is...

16. AlienBeans

AlienBeans Active Member

I haven't had time to mess with the palette in quite some time. I'm in the process of getting a spare bedroom set up for my 3D printers and until I get that set up and organized, I won't be able to tinker at all. I will say I've all but given up on getting the Palette 2 pro to work with the R2. They did release some updates and a tutorial on how to get it working correctly, but it requires you be close to the printer AND use octoprint from a computer at the same time to "jog" the filament in to begin the print. I don't use octoprint that way and don't want to start. I recently picked up a Prusa MK3 and once the room is set up, I'll be connecting my palette 2 pro to that printer and using it that way (I hope).

17. KenO

KenO New Member

Question on Palette 2 setup. Jonny Yeu of Mosaic notes two plugins that I assume need to be added to the Robo R2's Raspberry Pi (OptiPi). they are Palette 2 Plugins, version 1.3.0 and Canvas Plugins, Version 2.0.0. I assume that it is ok to add these two plugins to the Raspberry Pi that came with the Robo R2 printer and that I can do this by accessing the Robo R2's OptiPi using the Cura version (2.5.0 I believe is the version). I also hope that once this is done, that the Palette 2 will recognize the R2 printer.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not tried this on an R2, but I can try it on the C2 with the original Palette if needed. Bear in mind that the main issue with plugins in the older octoprint is due to libraries not being current. If the Palette 2 plugin needs a newer library in the OctoPrint instance it will fail (Perl version may matter too as it is older).

This was the main push driving us to implement the CommunityOS for the Robo. So that the OS and OctoPrint versions could be brought up-to-date...

19. KenO

KenO New Member

Jonny Yeu form Mosaic last month gave instructions to add plugins to the OctoPi. The link is https://support.mosaicmfg.com/hc/en...-DIY-CANVAS-Hub-OctoPi-CANVAS-and-P2-Plugins-. So it looks like it might be possible to use this info to add these to the Robo R2 OctoPi. These plugins are apparently needed to connect the Palette to the printer. I assume that the "Cura for Robo" program would want to be used to access the R2's OctoPi. Jonny does not address the issue that Mark noted above however.

I see that others are getting the R2 to work with the Mosaic Palette, but I am not sure if they are using the connection mode to do this. Apparently these two OctoPi plugins will allow us to use this method.

If any of you have done the above, what were the results?

20. KenO

KenO New Member