1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Adjust Brim Size

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Robo Phil, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Robo Phil

Robo Phil New Member

I did a search but didn't see the steps/instructions (maybe I missed it).

My work flow is something like this...
    - use the CAD software to make something and then export to .stl
    - open Octoprint/browser and upload the .stl file to this R2 printer. Hit cancel on the Cura/something dialog box right after the successful upload.
    - use the R2 touchscreen/LCD to select various items/options. Then the onboard R2 slicer makes me a gcode file (usable, maybe not the best but is usable/fine)
    - then select this new .gcode file and print it. After a few hours/day(s), I have a nice printout.

It always sticks fine/well to my new buildtak plate (or plain plate before this) but I would like to speed it up and also use less filament/material hopefully with 33% thinner and 50% smaller width/brim. (ie. The default brim/raft is usually "thick" and "extends out too far".) (Sometimes I don't use it if the bottom-side surface quality doesn't matter. Also it helps to hide the plate/surface imperfections... and so l use it.)

Can somebody point me to some instructions/steps on how to modify/edit/adjust the brim/raft thickness and width? Is there some settings or a hidden menu or a control panel somewhere in the onboard R2 slicer/software that I can tweak/change the default size? (Goal is always give me a smaller/thinner brim/raft.)

Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Not that I am aware of, you probably need an external slicer (or at a mininum configure the Cura profile for the one built into OctoPrint).

WheresWaldo and Robo Phil like this.
  3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

The Cura engine built into Octoprint on the R2 printer is hopelessly out of date.

My work flow:

- use FreeCAD to design and mesh an object. Then export the mesh as a *.obj file. If the model needs some minor tweaking, I import it into Wings3D, make the modifications and then export it as another *.obj file

- import the model into the latest desktop Cura, orient the model for best printing, open the printer profile and tweak items like "brim" parameters, infill percent, infill style, supports (or not), etc. Then slice the model and send it to the R2 Octoprint server

- open an Octoprint browser window and monitor. If I want to watch the print in action (via my cell phone), I enable the video stream. http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...-phone-via-your-local-wireless-network.23702/

#3 tkoco, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Robo Phil

Robo Phil New Member

Hey guys, thanks for the info. Now I am trying the desktop Cura. I just upgraded to v3.4.1 (was too old at v2.5.0 lol).
    I went to the top menu bar and selected Preferences - Configure Cura. (Along the way, I also made a custom profile based on the normal 0.1 quality/print.) In the Settings Visibility dialog box, I found the "Build Plate Adhesion" section. I checked various new items related to skirt line count, distant, skirt/brim minimum length, width, brim line count. Then back in Cura, these items appear when i select brim or skirt. Then for the raft, I found a Raft Extra Margin item and the default might have been 5 mm. I changed it to 2 mm and now I have a smaller raft! Also now looking at minimizing the other values like the one for Raft Top Layers. Thanks.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

In the Preferences -> Configure Cura -> Settings menu, make sure to check mark the "Check all" box and Close it. Afterward, when you open a profile for editing, you will see all the various items which can be tweaked. I'm sure that you mean version 4.4.1 and not 3.4.1 of Cura.

6. Robo Phil

Robo Phil New Member

Thanks tkoco! wow there's a v4.4.1? I just looked and mine says 3.4.1 (got it from a link from this robo3d products/download page). I searched and the v4 seems to be for Ultimaker and hopefully is compatible. I will download it later tonight to try. Thanks again!

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

While the latest version of Cura is pre-arranged for the Ultimaker line of printers, I use it for the C2 & R2 printers. When you initialize Cura for Windows or Mac or Linux, you will need to use the Custom FDM printer setting. Give the following instructions a read through first. While they are written with the Mac in mind, they can be used for Windows and Linux as well: https://robo3d.com/pages/cura-for-mac

Starting in version 4.X of Cura, you will need to click on the Marketplace button and look in the Plugins menu for the Octoprint Connection plugin. Install that one to enable Cura to talk to the R2 printer directly over your network. For more detailed instructions, please read the R2 FAQ in the R2 Troubleshooting forum

#7 tkoco, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Robo Phil likes this.