1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Using the R1 plus for Minis?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HunterHeyMan, Jan 21, 2020.

1. HunterHeyMan

HunterHeyMan New Member

Has anyone figured out how to get the R1+ to print decent looking minitures? I have gotten the body to get better and better but it drastically messes up on the helmet/head. Nothing too complicated, currently working on the Mandalorian mini on Thingiverse scaled up to 45mm tall (normally 37mm If I recall correctly). I can get it to print the guns pretty accurately so it baffles me the head wont appear right.

Currently using Cura and settings I got from a youtube video. Should I cut my losses or keep playing with the settings?
    Also, looking at the speed it prints, it has the printer drastically slowing down from shoulders up which I feel like is exposing the layers to heat but no matter what settings I have tried to change I cant seem to get it to be the same speed the body prints.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

For small prints you need to minimize the speed overall. Cut the print speed at least in half. Also make sure your firmware acceleration and jerk values are sane -- the stock ones varied over the years from absolutely stupid to somewhat less stupid, but they were never optimal.

Try one thing at a time and you will be able to dial it in. It will never be as good as a resin printer for that type of size and detail, but it can be decent.

The bed size on the R1 series is a good indication that they were not targeting small items with high detail :)

The C2 can get pretty good with them (different drive system completely) but even it will never match a cheap resin printer for details on those types of models.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

When we used the R1 series for small models (or models that tapered to small layers) I always set a minimum layer print time so that if a layer was small and printed quickly the slicer would enforce a wait to allow that layer to cool before coming back over it for the next layer.

Without that hot plastic is placed on top of hot plastic and that makes things messy

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Smaller nozzles. The .15 or .25 have lead to great results small scale but... will be a pretty long print.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, seriously :)

Geof likes this.