1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Test your printers clearance and tolerance by Maker's Muse

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by KenO, Feb 6, 2018.

1. KenO

KenO New Member

I downloaded Angus Deveson's latest creation to test the printer's tolerance and clearance capabilities and I wanted to report that using my R2 with PLA I was able to spin and move all five of the movable parts. The 0.2 and 1.5 mm did need to be loosened using a screw driver as he shows on his video on this topic. I also followed his advice and carefully leveled the print bed.

Geof likes this.
  2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You sure your not using a xy compensation or under extruding? (can easily cheat the test with either method :D). The only reason I ask is when you design something you want to ensure you know exactly what your printer running optimally can handle, if .2 and .15 had to be broken free with a screw driver your likely under extruding some or have compensation enabled in the slicer. .2 was the normal "ok" on the old test last year he put out with .15 on most machines being fused or the machine under extruding. :D good to know exactly why a device fails and succeeds (because both are equally important)

3. KenO

KenO New Member

I did use Simplifed3d to up load the stl file. Also I did not design the print, it was designed by Angus Deveson of Maker's Muse. My settings for layers was Primary Layer Height 0.3000 mm, Top Solid Layers 3, Bottom Solid Layers 4, Outline/perimeter Shells 2. As far as xy settings, they were the default. Angus warns us that the build plate must be level and I did carefully do this. Angus also uses a screw driver to pry loose the 0.2 and .15 mm separations. It did not take much force. The nozzle I am using is the one that shipped with the printer. Ken

Geof likes this.
  4. jscottb

jscottb Member

It's been since 2017 since I tried to print items like this on my R2, but they never would break free do to over extrusion. I have it tuned quite well now and should try one of those types of things again. The funny thing is, my Monoprice Maker Select could print them with no tuning.

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Good to know. Either the printer which you used was precise enough ( lucky you :) ) or there might have been other factors which were mentioned by @Geof

6. KenO

KenO New Member

Sorry for the late response. I did this a couple years ago when my R2 was new. I checked out Angus of Maker's Muse this morning and I see that others must have had a problem with this design, so he has come up another one. The link: https://bit.ly/2U2ZEwP. I have attached a photo of the one that I printed. As I remember the 0.15 and 0.2 did require a little effort to unfreeze, but all five of them can be rotated on my print. Ken Olsen
    20200404_081948.jpg

7. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I'll have to watch that video :)