1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Cooling Fan not turning on during print?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Marinecwo4@msn. com, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Marinecwo4@msn. com

Marinecwo4@msn. com New Member

I can print with my Robo R1 Plus; however, the fan does not turn on and my prints are terrible on the back side. Steps I tried:

1) I removed the fan and used a 9 volt battery to see if the fan still works and the fan turns on fine.

2). I wiggled all the wiring to see if there was a wiring issue. I cleaned the contacts as best I could at both the board and wire connector.

What else can I do, or is it a board problem? It's been running fine for 2 years and now all my prints suck.

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Keeping track of where the wiring is currently routed (take a photo), consider to swap the leads for the hot end fan. The hot end fan runs all the time and as such, should engage your part cooling fan when the machine is on. If this does not happen, the problem has to be in the fan, despite the initial testing.

Additionally, the hot end cooling fan should engage when the appropriate signal is sent from terminal mode.

https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M106:_Fan_On

You could run this test prior to swapping the connections on the board, to provide additional foundation for your testing.

If you discover that the problem resides on the board, I've forgotten the hardware configuration. There may be a driver that's failed, but I can't recall if it's removable or hard-soldered in place.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The parts fan is attached to the RAMPS board outputs and is controlled by the slicer.
    Maybe you do not have the slicer set to use it... that is one possibility and the other possibilities are bad wiring to it OR the RAMPS board output is defective/failed. There is a MOSFET that drives that output and if it dies so will the fan. In that case I'd say swap the RAMPS board (easy if you have an R1, slightly more complicated if you have an R1+ -- we have a thread for details on that swap)

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can in many slicers/host programs manually tell the parts fan to turn on. Try that. See if it actually comes on. If not then you know you have an electrical or electronic problem. If it does come on then you have a slicer problem :)