1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Small gaps while printing petg

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Henradrie, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

Whenever I print with petg I always get small gaps in the print like the ones shown in the picture. I can't figure out how to get rid of them.

First I thought that the filament was wet, but this is a brand new roll and has been open for 12 hours when this print was made.

I'm running the hot end at 245c, speed 40mm/s, and using spool3d product. Retraction is 2mm and retraction speed is 40mm/s. Any faster and I start having issues with grinding filament.

Has anybody else had similar issues on the past, and if so, how did you resolve them?

I do a lot of mechanical parts so appearance is less important than strength and dimensional accuracy. Which is why the hot end is at the upper end of the range.

Update: I thought retraction may have been an issue so I reduced it to 1mm. This made no difference.

Also ignore the ringing, I know I need to tighten my belts.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

#1 Henradrie, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  2. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Do you get a better print with another brand or even a different type of filament such as PLA? I've printed the same item multiple times with different results according to the type of filament being used. Sometimes it comes out perfect with one brand & terrible with another brand. Try another roll then compare the results. You'll be surprised that the results might improve by increasing the temperature by a few degrees or slowing down the print a few mm/s. Check to see if the nozzle is partially clogged.

3. Henradrie

Henradrie New Member

I tried a brand new roll with a different print and it seemed to work better. The problem seems to happen around areas with a change in direction. It makes me think that my belts are looser than I thought even though I recently tightened them.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.