1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

The Filament Reel Support Mod For C2 and R2 printers

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by tkoco, Aug 16, 2019.

1. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

While working with the TPU filament (Article found in the R2 Filaments area), I noticed the difficulty with the Extruder pulling TPU filament into the Extruder assembly. I came up with this mod to reduce the friction between the filament spool and the printer's filament support.

Parts:

Slick Strips tape: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035Y46GM

Tools:

Scissors

------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cut a strip to the length of the spool support surface. Clean the surface with 91% isopropyl alcohol before applying the strip. Press on the tape and get all of the tape to adhere to the surface. Might take several passes of pressing.

For the C2 printer:

C2 support with tape. Tape is shown with paper backing.

C2_Support_with_strip.jpg

C2 support with tape. Tape has backing removed.

C2_Support_with_bare_strip.jpg

C2 support with tape applied. Note that a second strip (trimmed with the scissors) was needed to cover the entire surface.

C2_filament_support_with_mod.jpg

For the R2 Printer:

The R2 spool support. Notice the wear on the surface.

R2_filament_support.jpg

The R2 support with the tape applied. Again, a second strip is needed. Trim it with scissors.

R2_filament_support_with_mod.jpg

Once you have done this mod, mount a spool of filament. You will notice an immediate difference in the force needed to pull the filament from the spool.

teachingalex123 and albert3d like this.
  2. albert3d

albert3d Member

Ran across this image awhile back that shows the R2 filament holder with bearings embedded in the spool holder. I was surprised when I got mine it didn't have them. Not sure if early version did or if this was just a concept that never made it to production. The white filament sensor block also makes me think it is an early render since I also haven't seen an R2 with that in the wild. It is still part of the product page on Robo's site. The ease the spool can rotate without resistance is often an overlooked issue. Your solution looks like a nice and easy solution.

[​IMG]

3. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

You are looking at the screw heads in the support. Not ball bearings.

4. albert3d

albert3d Member

You sure? They look like balls. Hard to tell when you zoom in.

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Trust me, it is not ball bearings. Please review the R2 images above. You will see what I am referring to.

6. KenO

KenO New Member

7. KenO

KenO New Member

Another solution to this problem I solved by using Dry Lube with Teflon. I sprayed the inside of the spool and the spool arm on the printer and I no longer had the problem. I have reapplied the spray to the spool arm once and always to the filament spool that rubs on the arm before installing. When applying the spray to the arm I hold a sheet of typing paper behind the arm to protect other surfaces.

8. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Do you bother to wipe off the old lubricant before applying a new coat of lubrication? Just curious.

9. KenO

KenO New Member

I have only sprayed the spool holder twice. I did not wipe it off. Note that I just started using the teflon spray for the last three or four TPU prints. I also resprayed the spool of TPU that I was using just to make sure that it would role freely. So far it has worked great. The current print that I am doing has taken 30 hours and it never stopped once for any reason.

10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

As a tip: If the TPU spool starts hanging up / studdering , consider using acetone to wipe off the old lubricant. Those sort of lubricants have a nasty tendency of collecting dust and start to wear down the surface.