1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Robo3d R1+ heated bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 1stgenbrz, Mar 28, 2020.

1. 1stgenbrz

1stgenbrz New Member

After years of faithful service, the original heated bed on my R1+ might be on its way out. I get the error message "Err: TEMP FALL ERROR" on my lcd screen. When I pre-heat thru the lcd menu, the extruder temp reaches fairly quickly, but the bed temp now takes a while, about 10-15 minutes to reach temp, so I'm fairly certain the error is from the bed.

Where can I purchase a replacement bed? If that's not possible. what would my next steps be?

2. fred3d

fred3d Member

Before you remove the bed, flip the machine over and remove the bottom cover. Identify the power lead from the board to the bed and pop it free. Examine the contacts to ensure that they are not damaged. I've repaired two R1+ power connectors that overheated. It appears that the connectors are rated for lower current than the bed will draw under operations.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You can also in the worst case, replace the bed heater, but the RAMPS is a good first check as @fred3d suggested.

4. 1stgenbrz

1stgenbrz New Member

I opened up the bottom cover to check whats been going on. All the contacts seem ok, everything plugged in. But, I still cannot get any prints going. The temp fail error is randomly affected by the extruder thermistor and/or the bed thermistor. Which makes me think that either the arduino or ramps is fried.

A little background into that theory...

About 2-3 weeks ago, I had a sudden power surge from too many devices on my power line that tripped the breaker. That's happened many times before but this time, the printer started up with but with symbols on the screen. I restarted it and had about 10 of the next consecutive prints fail randomly (not related to any specific layer or position). I ended up deleting many files off my SD card (after attempting numerous other things) and that actually worked...I was able to print a lot of things (20+ prints of about 4 unique files) with only 2 or 3 random fails. Fast forward to a couple days ago, now I'm experiencing these random errors...

Is it worthwhile for me to replace the arduino and then possibly the ramps which is custom and very expensive? I had done many tweaks to the firmware a couple of years ago to use an e3d V6 w/ titan extruder and custom carriage, that I probably won't be able to trace back at this point.

5. fred3d

fred3d Member

Did you pop free the connection for the heated bed and examine the pins?

6. 1stgenbrz

1stgenbrz New Member

yes I did. I didnt test them electrically, but visually, nothing out of the ordinary.

Upon testing, there were times when both thermistor readings showed up on the screen, then sometimes either the extruder would be 0 or the bed temp would be 0.

I even tested with the pre-heat command and it held both temps with no issue. As soon as I try to print, it reads TEMP FALL ERROR

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The TEMP FALL error is part of the later Marlin release and just looks at what the temperature is versus what is requested.
    Too large of a difference and you get the error.

Usually when the heater fails the terminals are scorched or burnt, but not always.

If you have a meter and can do it, read the voltage out of the bed heater connection on the RAMPS when the software is requesting the bed to heat up. It SHOULD be 12vdc.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The fact that you sometimes get readings and other times do not SOUNDS like a failure on the RAMPS board, but usually it will fail hard and never read correctly. Which is why there were questions about the connection

9. 1stgenbrz

1stgenbrz New Member

Could the power surge have fried the arduino?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I doubt it, more likely the RAMPS is having issues (as I suggested) -- but -- that is a tough call.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bear in mind the Arduino is the CPU.. the RAMPS is the I/O for it. So if you are having sensors flaky the RAMPS is more likely the issue. I have seen some cases where the Ardunio would fail that way, but is less likely

12. 1stgenbrz

1stgenbrz New Member

After trying a new RAMPS board to no avail, turns out it was just the hot end thermistor...