1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Low Cost FlexPlate type System

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lance Weston, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

My glass plate glued to a flexplate finally had a enough pieces ripped off that I could not use it. I saw an inexpensive flexplate like system and ordered it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Bed-Ma...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The inexpensive system is just two very large refrigerator magnet strips. One plate has a sticky surface for mounting and the other plate has a print surface.

I glued the sticky surface to the glass plate for flatness. The upper plate stuck to the lower plate well enough to work, but not as much as the Flexplate. The glass plate dings did not pass through to the top surface.

If I did not have a Flexplate installed I would glue the sticky to the plate, and glue a glass plate to the upper for flatness. I have this ordered in 12x12 for my large printer and will update when all of the parts come in.

This looks like a very inexpensive system that will function just as well as the flexplate.

Attached Files:

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I'm having a hard time visualizing what you are talking about. What sort of sandwich do you have?

3. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

bottom up: Bed, Flexplate magnetic stick on plate, Flexplate steel plate with microporous glass glued on with new flexpate like magnetic glued on glass, magnetic flexplate like print surface.

The magnetic flexplate like surface did not hold as well as this:
    bottom up: Glass glued to bed with magnetic flexplate like glued to glass, magnetic flexplate like print surface on top.

I have not yet printed on it but I suspect it will have the same flaw as the flexplate system and large parts will curl on the bottom by pulling the print surface up. I got around that by glueing glass to the top surface. This works very well for the flexplate system.

4. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Thank you for the feedback. If my glass plate gets as bad enough, I'll probably put a sheet of Buildtak instead of adding another Flexplate assembly on top. Good Luck @Lance Weston