1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

moving backwards. need to start over.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrey Slotnick, Apr 9, 2020.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If it worked with a different image I'd suspect the R2 image, but I don't have an R2 to assist you with.
    Maybe @tkoco or @Geof can test the R2 image you are using to make sure it is functional

2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

If the printer was powered off incorrectly, the software could develop a problem.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Slotnick

Jeffrey Slotnick New Member

tkoco - thanks so much for the continued suggestions. I do have a raspberry pi 3 as luck would have it - I will give it a test - might take me a couple of days. Thanks again.

4. Omar Basha

Omar Basha New Member

When we had screen issues, I removed the ribbon and cleaned the all the contacts on the screen and ribbon with alcohol and it solved it. Our issue was we had no display but I think worth a try here.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tkoco and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You know, I think @Omar Basha is on to an idea here. Maybe the cable is defective or flaky. That is not one of the things that would be a common issue and probably one of the last things I'd even consider. I would still try another Pi if you can for the same reason -- the I/O could be damaged on the one you have (which would have the exact same symptoms as a bad cable or LCD)

tkoco likes this.
  6. Jeffrey Slotnick

mark/omar, - thanks I'll also order a new cable.

7. Jeffrey Slotnick

small update - I tried a different raspberry pi 3, but received the same results :-( I makes me really wonder about the cable, so I ordered a new one, but that makes me have the following question: I ordered this ribbon cable (https://www.partsbuilt.com/cable-ribbon-lcd-raspberry-pi-r2-c2/), but I notice that the one I currently have has a red/black wire combo coming off of it at the end, this one does not - is that going to be an issue ? Thanks

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmm, if I recall correctly those wires go to the filament runout sensor.
    They may not have included them since they don't run in the same direction as the LCD cable.
    Still I can only imagine installing them would be a pain.
    You can disable the runout sensor....

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you have it apart enough check both ends of the existing cable to make sure the connectors are crimped down tightly on the cables.

Geof likes this.
  10. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is correct, The red / black wire pair go to the filament out sensor. If you are inclined, you could splice the new red / black pair into the existing wire pair. Or you could just disable the sensor in Octoprint.