1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Copying firmware to another computer??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DGGT6, Apr 14, 2020.

1. DGGT6

DGGT6 New Member

Hello Guys,
    hope you all have enough filament at home to keep you all printing while in lock down/isolation!
    I have acquired another computer that I want to use as a dedicated computer for my printer. However, I have made quite a few adjustments to the ROBO/MARLIN firmware on the original computer that I do not want to risk losing.
    Is there a way to transfer my edited firmware to the new computer?

Many thanks,
    Doug

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The compiled firmware resides inside the printer.
    If you edited the firmware source and loaded it to the printer from another computer, just copy those source files to the new computer.

Then install the Arduino IDE on the new computer and you can edit and load it from there if need to in the future.

3. DGGT6

DGGT6 New Member

Thanks Mark.
    Silly question time...... where do I find the "source files" I edited? I thought they were in the Arduino program but no.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You downloaded them as a ZIP file and extracted them somewhere. If you open the arduino program and open the FILE menu and then the OPEN RECENT menu you should see a list of files you edited. Open one then do a FILE -> SAVE AS and it will show you the folder it was in. You can just use Explorer or anything else you like to copy that folder to the other computer.

5. DGGT6

DGGT6 New Member

Many thanks again Mark, got it all transferred:)!

Cheers,
    Doug

mark tomlinson likes this.