1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2 Z Wizard wont calibrate correctly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Kizmet, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

@tkoco I think you were on to something here. About the RoboOS and the Marlin Firmware not working well together.

Uploaded Marlin.R2.1.1.7.hex (downloaded from https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/releases/)
    And guess what? Re-did the Z offset wizzard and the value came out to be -6.45, that is vastly different than before, and more inline with people that had working printers.

So the solution ladies and gentlemen is:

1. RoboOS 2.0.0-r2.6
    2. Official Firmware: Marlin.R2.1.1.7.hex

Now the bed calibration wizard is behaving as it should be!!!!!!
    Ill keep going with this, and if I get this printer to print a test print successfully then Ill mark the thread as resolved.
    Stay tuned for an update. =)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

Glad that you figured it out. -6.** mm is normal for the factory nozzle supplied. You will have to re-do the bed leveling if 1) changing the nozzle to a different style nozzle or 2) installing the flex-plate kit available from partsbuilt.com. Instructions for either mod can be found in the Mods and Upgrades areas for the C2 and R2 printers.

3. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

@tkoco
    @mark tomlinson

Thank you for your effort and contribution, honestly given the history of this printer, and its current state of support I didn't expect any replies at all. I'm happy printing a test print file, seems ok so far. Without any tweaks the test file printed quite well.

All in all if I'm going to exclude the damages, and troublesome firmware process, id say the prints turned out better than my 1st print on the Prusa MK2.

Ill mark this thread as resolved now.

4. Kizmet

Kizmet New Member

It wont let me mark it as solved, perhaps a mod can help?

5. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

This link is better: https://github.com/Robo3D/Marlin/releases/tag/Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6

6. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I have verified that Firmware: Official Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex is the correct file.

Version Firmware: Official Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.4_R2.hex is broken and should not be used.

7. Louis Hall

Louis Hall New Member

I purchased an R2 and it was delivered the other day. The past two days have been awful. I have 4x Robo3D R1+ printers and although they are somewhat flawed, they basically worked out of the box. I was under the impression that the R2 was going to be this huge upgrade and I cannot get the damn thing to work. I am thinking that this thread is the issue and that my firmware is incompatible. I just backed up to Official Marlin_1.1.6_RoboVersion_1.2.6_R2.hex from above and still nothing. My issue was that I couldn't control Z offset and the extruder would either crash into the print bed or would print 1/2" above the print bed. I'm pretty much irate that this printer is so far from being out of the box working. :(

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and that is why Robo no longer supports any of them (R2/C2/etc) and has handed parts off to PartsBuilt

They were a nice design (R2/C2) but not really up to being built in China by the lowest bidder.
    There are a few design flaws (the Z sensor could be better, the Control board should be better) but once you do get it working it should be OK. I made sure to stop letting it update once we got our C2 to a working configuration. As you can tell from this thread they are not really a "software" company either

(and don't get me started on the whole "RoboOS" thing. It was criminal not to keep this in a configuration that could be updated)

#28 mark tomlinson, Apr 17, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  9. Louis Hall

Louis Hall New Member

Hey Mark,
    Thanks for your reply! Do you have an R2?

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have a C2
    The differences are a smaller size and no heated bed.

11. tkoco

tkoco - -.- --- -.-. ---
    Staff Member

I have both a C2 and R2 printer. Something which you should be aware of: In the R1+ printer, the Z Offset value is a positive number. For the C2 & R2 printer, the Z Offset is a negative number. This situation is due to the construction differences between the R1+ and the C2/R2.
    So I need to confirm that the RoboOS and Marlin firmware in your R2 printer are the recommended versions listed in the R2 FAQ. The R2 FAQ lists procedures to find out the revision levels.

12. Louis Hall

Louis Hall New Member

Thank you! It took me roughly 48 hours of messing around with this darned machine to figure out some of these unclear nuances. I rolled the firmware back to 1.1.6 I believe and suddenly things worked correctly. I also cleared the EEPROM and reset the home offset to roughly -7 and suddenly things magically worked. Honestly, I like my R1 more than the R2 so far.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The only advantage to the R2 is that the gantry style can support higher speeds with better accuracy.
    Not sure you can realize that potential or not :) A well tuned R1 is going to be hard to beat

14. Louis Hall

Louis Hall New Member

Thanks! Yea, the R1 is pretty fantastic when tuned up correctly. I’ve been stuck on mattercontrol, any suggestions for a better slicer that works well for both platforms (R1/R2)?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you want free ones -- pretty much any of them are better :)
    I only use Simplify3D myself (except for the resin printers because it does not support them)
    It is not, however, free.

16. Louis Hall

Louis Hall New Member

I’m an educator so can purchase S3D for about $100. Have heard it’s pretty much the best. If there is a free one on par I would check it out.

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't say -- no recent experience with free ones*.
    The new Cura is supposed to be good so perhaps give that one a look.
    Bear in mind that any slicer takes a bit of a learning curve so patience is required :)

Also Simplify3D is not for everyone and if you are not going to need the features it offers then stay with a free one until you butt up against a limitation.

*Until one can replicate the way I can control a complex model / group of models with the multiple distinct processes, I am fine with S3D. A process in S3D defines parameters for the slice (layer height, speeds, temperature, etc) and can be used on all or part of a model. I have some models that use as many as 5 processes to get the job done on a single slice. They have a raft of online training as well on their web site so if you consider it, go through all of the examples. videos, etc. before you spend the money. They do offer a 2 week (?) money back / satisfaction guarantee but that is not long enough to learn it :)

18. wuidling

wuidling Member

I prefer after days of testing and also damaging the print surface the following calibration steps.

Make the Z-Offset Calibration and let 5 mm space.
    Make a bed calibration with the Motor Controls and an old Credit Card.
    Don‘t use the wizard.
    Check all the points of the bed twice !
    Now do the Z-Offset again with the plastic card.

Set a semikolon in the GCode G36 (Cura or Octoprint)
    ; G36 Auto leveling off

Now load a Testprint and then go little steps upwards In the Eprom Menu.

S3D i think do not support Network Printers.

Cura ii think its the best Software to learn the Basics.

Regards

excuse my school english

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

20. wuidling

wuidling Member

Thanks, this is what I`'am looking for. Unfortunately i did not find it so i give it back after 1 Day.

Regards